DIY wetsuits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fjpatrum

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
So we're headed to Monterey next month and I have a lot of neoprene that I'd like to use to make suits for the kids. So far I've been making neoprene vests and shirts with spandex side panels and sleeves so no need for gluing.

With real full suits, however, I'd like to glue the seams as well. Anyone tried Aquaseal or shoe goo as a butt glue prior to sewing? Should I just get a vat of actual "neoprene glue"? I have various glues and will likely give it a try anyway, just seeing whether anyone has already invented this wheel.

So we're headed to Monterey next month and I have a lot of neoprene that I'd like to use to make suits for the kids. So far I've been making neoprene vests and shirts with spandex side panels and sleeves so no need for gluing.

With real full suits, however, I'd like to glue the seams as well. Anyone tried Aquaseal or shoe goo as a butt glue prior to sewing? Should I just get a vat of actual "neoprene glue"? I have various glues and will likely give it a try anyway, just seeing whether anyone has already invented this wheel.

Ordinarily what is used is "wet suit glue." It is basically rubber cement--you apply to both seams, let it dry, and stick it together. It used to be available in clear or black. I would not use Aquaseal because it could be uncomfortable. Hopefully you can still buy wet suit glue at dive shops. If not, I would experiment with contact cement. I have used rubber cement in the past and then sewed it with a Zig-Zag stitch (widest setting). Of course the needle goes all the way through the neoprene so I would give it a coat of glue on the inside to reduce leakage.

I have a bunch of grandkids and I'm very interested it what you did with the spandex plus any other ideas you may have. The kids are always growing out of the suits so I've been contemplating various ways to accommodate growth. One way I thought of was zippered panels in varying widths which could be replaced with the next wider panel as needed.

Do you have any pictures of the spandex parts? Is it thick enough to offer any Insulation?

you can find liquid rubber at hardware stores too. The tricky part is the stitching. a flatlock stitch is easier to pull off but not as effective as blindstitching.

you might want to give jim steele a call at steele's discount scuba. he can give you a few pointers as they used to sell diy kits for wetsuits in the early days that you had to put together yourself.

you can find liquid rubber at hardware stores too. The tricky part is the stitching. a flatlock stitch is easier to pull off but not as effective as blindstitching.

you might want to give jim steele a call at steele's discount scuba. he can give you a few pointers as they used to sell diy kits for wetsuits in the early days that you had to put together yourself.

I suppose, after thinking about it, that wet suit glue may not be a standard item in dive shops any more since they started putting nylon on top of the neoprene and sewing the seams together :wink: Before that we had to re-glue the seams after nearly every dive.

Thanks for the tip on Steele's Scuba. I look them up.

@JamesBon92007 basically, I just stitch spandex or some other "4 way stretch" material as a side panel for legs. Think "jammers" type swim shorts with neoprene front and back panels and spandex sides. A couple of darts for the waist and you've got a tailored fit. It simplifies fit because you can make the neoprene panels a little small and then compensate with the stretch of the spandex. In a pool in the summertime they don't need full protection, just a little extra warmth in the early and late seasons. For tops, I do front and back vest panels (full zip front, usually) and then do a long sleeve out of the spandex. A little warmth, a lot of sun protection, and pretty comfortable. I'll try and take some pictures this evening.

@JamesBon92007 it is about 2 inches. I would guess the horizontal stretch is maybe 25%. My daughter doesn't stretch it that much because I wanted to give her some room to grow. The key here is to get the "4 way stretch" that way it doesn't really matter that much what orientation you have the material in, it will flex comfortably. If you get 2 way stretch, you have to be more careful and align the vertical with the appropriate stretch of the fabric.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom