AKR incident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It attracts ineptitude by it's "Roatan's must-do dives" status in SDM, etc. Your perception of a "simple dive", basing that on buoyancy skills, might be quite valid.... But- if buoyancy was a simple or instantly natural skill, something you have mastered.... Well, it's simply not so.

Toss 1 newish diver in the open water, add in the pre-dive hype, stir in the hover at 70', a spoonful of the visual of the dark chasm, and you (they) are off to the races.

Even "experienced divers" who do not have such technical deficiencies, most all of them swim through it as if it was a race. Check your watch. It should take 8 minutes, must do it in 5.

In re the 950 comment, take that entire paragraph as a whole and in context. There is some sarcasm, but based on reality.

No less than the Blue Hole, but at least with Mary's Place, there is something to see....which still most do not.

Last edited:
It attracts ineptitude by it's "Roatan's must-do dives" status in SDM, etc. Your perception of a "simple dive", basing that on buoyancy skills, might be quite valid.... But- if buoyancy was a simple or instantly natural skill, something you have mastered.... Well, it's simply not so.

Toss 1 newish diver in the open water, add in the pre-dive hype, stir in the hover at 70', a spoonful of the visual of the dark chasm, and you (they) are off to the races.

Even "experienced divers" who do not have such technical deficiencies, most all of them swim through it as if it was a race. Check your watch. It should take 8 minutes, must do it in 5.

In re the 950 comment, take that entire paragraph as a whole and in context. There is some sarcasm, but based on reality.

No less than the Blue Hole, but at least with Mary's Place, there is something to see....which still most do not.
Yeup, I can see it happening with certain types of divers. I've seen it happen in other places. Good to know in advance that this site attracts such divers. I'll be the lookout for them :)

I'll admit to banging my tank on that overhead. It was the extra dive day in our trip, our regular group was already on time-to-fly and the new week has not started yet... so we ended up diving with the shop manager: Darren, just the three of us. The dive ended up being one of the highlights of the trip.

I always enjoy diving Mary's, but there are a few sites I enjoy at least as much, if not more.

I recall reading about this incident not terribly long after joining Scubaboard. Terrible tragedy.

Last edited:
I dove Mary's Place for the first time recently. Spectacular scenery. Unfortunately, our group had a mismatch of dive experience and skills and the DM led what felt like a race.

Always sad to hear about tragedies such as the one that began this thread.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom