Is anyone using DPV's for shore dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Texasguy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I am about to get my UV-26 wet. Idea is to get quicker to and from the ledge near the Commercial Ave pier, Fort Lauderdale. Swimming each time to the ledge is bonkers, too long (30mins?), and rather boring 'cause all myself. It is like 2.5 pier lengths out. Thus, big toy for a wee-bit fun.

Anyone else used/uses DPV's for shore dives?

I'm not in Florida (SoCal), but have done a few hundred scooter dives, at least half from shore. Apart from a couple on a Mako, these were all with a Dive-X Sierra, so only about 35# (though often with doubles, sometimes stages/deco bottles). Honestly, a UV-26 is huge. I personally wouldn't love hauling that into/out of the water. Our entries were all through surf, adding to the challenge. Once in the water, though, scooters can really open up dive sites (including ones you simply couldn't get to without a scooter). It's important to have a plan for what you'll do if the scooter dies (towing, spare scooter, etc) or floods. With big batteries, you can get yourself in serious trouble if you don't have an adequate plan for dealing with failures.

Yes, the size is an issue, I agree, knew that when was buying the sucker. But, here where I dive it is possible to park next to the sand. 100lb for a fit person is heavy but very doable. Each time I have to haul it, I think how much money I saved, I get a second wind. :wink:

Most of the time the waters are calm, if not, I guess, I can go without a scooter. I would not want to get UV-26 in my face with a wave.

Plan wise, I doubt I'd get away from the shore further than the ledge, there is nothing there for a long while, I think. Thus, I'll be going parallel to the shore at the ledge, it is like a mile out?. If the scooter breaks, I can clip it and tow it out. Getting back to the car will be tough, as a current usually takes divers north. But if I walk in the water towing it behind me, maybe doable, since it is neutral. If it floods. Well, salt water, bye-bye batteries. I heard if fresh water floods, it even operates, but salt water ends all. I'll have to attach SMB and swim it out. Well, unless I have to buy a second UV-26 to drag behind me in case first one breaks... But getting 2 in the water probably will be beyond my abilities.

I don't own a DPV, but have worked with a guy who uses his all the time for shore diving--especially in lakes. It's a "big" toy but it can really make or break a lot of seemingly inconspicuous dive sites.

Yes, the size is an issue, I agree, knew that when was buying the sucker. But, here where I dive it is possible to park next to the sand. 100lb for a fit person is heavy but very doable. Each time I have to haul it, I think how much money I saved, I get a second wind. :wink:

Arnold will be pleased to know that some male scuba divers are not complete wimps. I had to make changes after schlepping around my UV-26 cause the only one standing to make money was my chiropractor.

I've often joked that DPV's are the "boat" that fits in the truck of your car and stands in the corner of the garage, no insurance, no registration.....:)

DPV's have the potential to make all your old familiar shore dive sites in to brand new dives. You can literally motor past the stuff you have seen repeatedly and get to new areas.

Entries and exits through the surf make smaller lighter scoots a must. Entry and exit technique can change a bit too. Walk in a little negative (little gas in the wing) once you reach waist deep let the scooter drag you past the breaker line, put your fins on there. (Scootering sans fins can be tricky)

I've made more than one exit when the ocean got angrier during the dive by simply scootering in until I was beached. Not all that elegant, but getting flipped in the surf with doubles, a deco bottle and ~40 lbs of scooter is to be avoided.

Tobin

Last edited:
I did some dives with a Seabob scooter in a surface propulsion role. Not all that comfortable underwater and no good for restrictions, but makes getting there and back a breeze. Makes for a very different experience.

Last edited:
I used to go snorkeling off the beach in Fr Lauderdale. Used a Seadoo scooter, dragged a flag and a DIY flotation device to leave my camera. It worked for me except the spool line was annoying, until I Jimmy rigged it.
Made swimming to the reef easier and more fun, but I only had a weight belt, no scuba gear.

I'm not in Florida either, rather Vancouver Island Canada (west coast). So far I've only used my Piranna 1 on shore dives. There's a really nice dive here that would be a long (and boring) swim without the scooter. With the scooter it's a short fun ride to a set of submerged dry docks and back. I've also used it to explore dive sites where the local entrance is horrid (for a variety of reasons). So we start at a nice entry point and scooter over to the chosen dive site and back.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom