Is anyone using DPV's for shore dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know several people who do DPV beach dives. You can easily get out to the 3rd reef and can even do several of the local wrecks. They are sweet! But, they don't go without a buddy, who also has a scooter. If yours breaks, you don't want to be stuck swimming in.

Entries and exits through the surf

Not really applicable in South FL as there are bigger waves in a toilet!

Most of the time, and even on the boats to check out the site that they didn't drop you on .... hmm mooring lines are gone again on the other wreck? don't worry, we'll still get on it :p

Also essential for some of our dives where spending your bottom time and half of deco just to get to the site ....

_R

Make friends with a diver with a private boat

Anyone did DPV + Flag at the same time? I wonder how it mixes together.

I have. I've done fish surveys with DPVs and would bring float so the boat could follow us for support (but have also done from shore). I have a hard plastic "torpedo float," very popular with free divers here. I hardly seem to notice it after awhile, just try not to do too many barrel rolls or change your depth often! :p

I'm building my own dpv specifically for exploring the far reaches of a privately owned quarry. There's alot of cool structures we've found and mapped but they're all at one end. Hopefully the scooter will help us make more "discoveries" on the other side where there's no shore access.

I started out planning using a kayak then moved on to a dpv for extended local shore diving and wound up going with doubles in stead. First with independent doubles, now a doubled set of lp72s.
Much cheaper.

Where does one find those?!
As side from my back yard, LOL they are all over. In fact sometimes the hard part is finding a couple of other divers to go! How to find, well, everyone needs to get their tanks filled. I start nosing around at my local dive shop and of course social media.

And with all the boats in that area, be very careful especially on weekends if you are going to swim on the surface to and from the Pompano Buoys. I recommend modifying your flag. Use a 24" flag on a 36" post. It really increases the visibility. Should be the Law!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom