#1 Rule In Scuba, Don't Hold Your.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you're making ANY noise, your glottis is open. You'll find making a consonant noise like an M or N uses far less air. Stick your tongue up on the roof of your mouth and the air will flow through your nose... but it will still flow.

You should learn glottis control without having to make a noise. Americans don't use a glottal stop (how Ringo says "Bottle"), but we do use a glottal fricative: the "H". Of course, all voiced vowels and consonants use the glottis, but it's so automatic that you don't even notice it. You do use your glottis when you cough, so that might be the best way to learn to control it. Any pause of your breathing cycle should be done with the glottis W-I-D-E open. Use your chest muscles and diaphragm to accomplish this and not your mouth, glottis or epiglottis (back of your tongue).
To piggy back the best way I know of to learn glottis control was practicing the valsalva maneuver during heavy squats. You have to learn how to clamp your glottis shut to effectively do it.

Caveat... Americans do use the glottal stop when they say "Uh-oh", "up" and so on. My bad. But the cockney pronunciation of the double t is the classic rendition of it.

Listen guys. Here's the thing. I'm in OW right now. I came here to gain some external knowledge and get some opinions / experiences based on theory and practices. And there's a lot of good info from all. I do not peruse the internet in hope that someone is going to give me the end all be all spiritual awakening of my life. Someone says apples,... someone else says oranges....either way, still real life experiences.

Ultimately, it's my decision and my responsibility (as well as those reading this behind us) to further my / their education taking classes, reading books, technical training, etc. This type of "conversation" is just the start,...not the end.

No one should come onto an internet forum, read a few passages as gospel, and then think it's ok to make life threatening decisions based on them. No one....

Listen guys. Here's the thing. I'm in OW right now. I came here to gain some external knowledge and get some opinions / experiences based on theory and practices. And there's a lot of good info from all. I do not peruse the internet in hope that someone is going to give me the end all be all spiritual awakening of my life. Someone says apples,... someone else says oranges....either way, still real life experiences.

Ultimately, it's my decision and my responsibility (as well as those reading this behind us) to further my / their education taking classes, reading books, technical training, etc. This type of "conversation" is just the start,...not the end.

No one should come onto an internet forum, read a few passages as gospel, and then think it's ok to make life threatening decisions based on them. No one....

Well said.

Do well here you will young Padawan.

I'd like to highlight the thought that the behavioral rules are taught in an effort to have less injured divers.

Divers, with further training, experience, equipment and ability will learn more precisely which behaviour is necessary to keep them safe underwater.

In specific situations breath holding has been an important part of my scuba diving since the beginning (sneaking up in shy critters for photography). However, the added risks of a new diver making a mistake in when to not breath hold, when to awwww or when not exhaling is ok adds too much risk to a training situation where taskloading can be an issue. Safer and easier to simply teach NEVER hold your breath and introduce an easy way to accomplish this directive. I'm certain we have less dead divers worldwide because of this rule even though it isn't as precise as real life.

Thoughtful divers are welcomed! Looking forward to further discussion as you reflect on your training and as you gain experience.

Regards,
Cameron

In the movie Into the Blue, there is a dramatic (and highly unlikely) scene in which Jennifer Alba saves two stuck divers by inhaling from a tank, swimming over to each, and giving them a breath mouth-to-mouth. I saw her interviewed on the Today show, and they asked about her violation of that "never hold your breath" rule. Alba, who does know how to dive and did most of those scenes herself, hesitated briefly before saying (correctly) that it is safe to hold your breath if you do not ascend. I got the sense from the way she said it that she felt she was violating a taboo about saying that to a general public.

EDIT: Brainfart on her name--it is Jessica.

Last edited:
I

Interesting. I practiced 3-4 pool CESA with a DM last week. The first two done making the "ahhh" sound and blowing a constant stream of bubbles through the reg resulted in emptying the lungs too soon to complete the distance. The third attempt I just tried making the "ahhhh" sound deep in the throat without bubbles being exhausted, which was commented on by the DM that he couldn't see bubbles, but could hear it. Maybe air was being exhaled via nasal passages and mask which was not evident. In any case it was easier.... but would doing that be safe?

I think if you're pushing out enough air for the instructor to see the bubbles, you're almost guaranteed to push out too much air. Especially in a pool where you don't have that much to begin with (i.e. not "3 lungfuls" as you would at 20 m). Same for the sound: you need to push out enough air to make your vocal cords vibrate.

Whereas in order to not blow a lung you just need to let air freely escape on its own, not forcefully push it out.

I suppose a more accurate way to put it would be "If you hold your breath while ascending, your lungs will rupture, so you will suffer and/or die", but I wonder if there might be any reason they don't...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom