notice to the Freaks ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sirius Diver:
Hey! What did you finally get Big Jim??? Henderson?
Hey- Jim how's the new suit working?? Seeing as how you finally decided it was time to wear more than a 3mm shorty. Who knows maybe next you'll have to invest in a hood.

Cliff
Ya I finally got a thick suit, the 5mm Henderson.

Works great, I was going to go diving today but the wind had a different idea.

Scuba_Jenny:
Interesting, it is ONLY this forum (of all the clubs) that you have to get permission to join, the rest of the world seems to know the rules and plays by them.

But we are playing by the rules..................
They just happen to be CANADIAN RULES it's to bad all the whiners happen to be "NOT" Canadian, after all this is a Canadian forum

Just ask Iraq what happens if you don't play by "the rules"

I refuse to get into an argument with you. However you might want to recheck your facts before posting. This forum is the only forum I know of that when a person not from Canada posts here they get chastised. This forum has geographical boundries, but is not for Canadians only. If it were so, then the most active, the Florida Conchs, should only be for Floridians. Correct? (just for the record, Floridians welcome inquiries to diving in that state, and encourage getting together to dive, even from the Freaks). Limiting the forum to only those who reside there kinda limits the whole idea of a global message board. If I want to dive in the Caymans, or visit British Columbia, I am gonna ask questions in that forum, not in my "home" forum.

As I said earlier, I will not continue with retorts to your accusations. I will continue to welcome and answer inquiries about diving in Florida even if the question has been asked a hundred times, and I would hope that if I ever make it to Canada to dive, or post a question about Ontario I am welcomed with the same hospitality we Floridians show you.

Hey.. Big Jim - here's something to think about. The sanction placed on the OFWF forum was debated for a while before it went into place. Oddly enough, once done, the number of reported posts dropped significantly! Oh, we also recieved a slew of Thank You's from people who were members.

Also, please remember that this is a privately owned board, not government owned. As a group the moderators, who are all volunteers, make the decisions that dictate the direction of the board. Overall, we're very liberal in what we censor and what is left stand. With 33,432 users currently posting over 40,000 posts a week, less than one half of one percent of those posts are pulled... even less than that this past week.

We didn't target the forum, the forum targeted itself like the bad neighborhood in a city.

Hmmm.... expect bad behaviour and you're going to find it. Which seems to me what a heck of a lot of moderators are doing these days.

Heck, some of the moderators themselves can be accused of running around here, breaking windows and breaking out the spraypaint, and then accusing US of having a bad neighbourhood.

Nobody expects bad behavior and I'll be the first to say we don't search for it, there are better more fun things to do like talk about diving and the aspects of it which interest us. For the first time since I became a mod, I have had absolutely no reports from anyone in the OFWF forum hit my mailbox. This means I had more time to read other forums, tinker with my gear based on things I read in those forums, post a few things, share some posts of interest with friends, and even send out an invite to scubaboard to a few relatively new divers I met. This was done on time that was otherwise spent reading email, reviewing posts that don't interest me, trying to figure out what was going on, discussing it with the other moderators, and deciding on a solution.

Unfortunately this solution was implemented, but it worked. Temporary or long term, that will be decided by those in the forum. It is my understanding that there are more than a few who are happy that these measures were implemented to regain control so that everyone can who wants to enjoy it can, not just a select very outspoken few.

Same old, same old.......... Defensive moderators dissing user.
Bad neighbourhood, eh? I have to tell you guys that I'm proud to live in this neighbourhood and rather be here, where integrity is important, than "over there", in the "good neighbourhood".
Of course there are no complaints about this Forum anymore, It's dead. There are more moderators from Florida posting on this Forum right now, trying to fill the void they created, than local diver. It appears that you've got what you wanted. Now you're playing almost alone in this sand box. Enjoy.....
Just my 0.02 Cents and I'll not be wasting anymore time beating this dead horse.

Scuba_Jenny:
I refuse to get into an argument with you. However you might want to recheck your facts before posting. This forum is the only forum I know of that when a person not from Canada posts here they get chastised. This forum has geographical boundaries, but is not for Canadians only. If it were so, then the most active, the Florida Conchs, should only be for Floridians. Correct? (just for the record, Floridians welcome inquiries to diving in that state, and encourage getting together to dive, even from the Freaks). Limiting the forum to only those who reside there kinda limits the whole idea of a global message board. If I want to dive in the Caymans, or visit British Columbia, I am gonna ask questions in that forum, not in my "home" forum.

As I said earlier, I will not continue with retorts to your accusations. I will continue to welcome and answer inquiries about diving in Florida even if the question has been asked a hundred times, and I would hope that if I ever make it to Canada to dive, or post a question about Ontario I am welcomed with the same hospitality we Floridians show you.

Ah Yes.........Again you miss my point.
I never said people are not welcome or questions couldn't be ask.
In fact I would love to have you come up here.
It just that, this "was" a spot for Canadians from Ontario.
We play different than others from other places.
Most of the people that are from Ontario that I/We make fun of and get in heated arguments with are friends that I/We dive with and know well.
Thats how we do things here.

People from the USA tend to not be tolerant of differences or thats the way it seems to outsiders.
So when you don't understand people, you shut them down.

It may not be true but that's the way it looks, for example: How all people are treated that wear turbans, or look middle eastern. I spend a lot of time at border crossings and I see what happens to them every day. They are just people trying to make a living and feed there families just like us. They are just different

I have spent half my life in the USA and have many friends from the USA that I've had this discussion with before, we will never resolve it, but I don't judge them so please don't judge us. We are all different.

BTW: It's cold wet and windy here so I tend to get grumpy.............

Ya but I gots to diving still, me and my closes 40 buddies from Quebec on the Wolfe

aquaoren:
Same old, same old.......... Defensive moderators dissing user.
Bad neighbourhood, eh? I have to tell you guys that I'm proud to live in this neighbourhood and rather be here, where integrity is important, than "over there", in the "good neighbourhood".
Of course there are no complaints about this Forum anymore, It's dead. There are more moderators from Florida posting on this Forum right now, trying to fill the void they created, than local diver. It appears that you've got what you wanted. Now you're playing almost alone in this sand box. Enjoy.....
Just my 0.02 Cents and I'll not be wasting anymore time beating this dead horse.

I have to laugh.. I'm expecting at any minute that scene from Monty Python's Search for the Holy Grail near the begining:

"Help help, I'm being repressed! Ah! Now you see the viloence inherent in the system!"

BTW, why does it matter where a mod or anyone is from to be posting in an area? The FL Forum has people from all over the world post in it every week and I've never seen the issues in that forum that I saw here amongst its own members.

Anyway, yawl have fun, I'm going back to watching football and repacking my dive gear after cleaning up from this weekends R&R dives. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom