Scubapro 2nd stage - R108 or R109 or something else?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for that!

I did have a look at video but it's got soft brass philips screws which are already pretty messy looking and is pretty tightly screwed together. I don't have a dremel so I was just wondering if the parts would work.

Also I'm in the States next week for a fortnight so the money I'll save on postage by ordering from VDH and delivering there compared to shipping to Ireland would easily cover both service kits and some of the cost of the upgrade kit.

Reg hasn't been serviced since around 1990 when I last got it done (probably just visual inspection then) so unlikely to have newer poppet

I had the fear put into me by guy here who said diaphragm might be very difficult to replace - but that's for R108?

Thanks again for all the replies!

If in doubt, just buy the Duro poppet update kit for $20.00. You will get all the parts to make a great breathing regulator plus new screws for the retaining rings. 109 diaphragm covers go bad but it's rare to see one with a bad diaphragm.

Will do, thanks.

I got the screws out and opened the reg, but the adjuster screw is not moving so can't get in to look at poppet. Would spraying into the adjuster bolt with silicone spray help? I imagine WD-40 is not the best idea?

I soak stubborn parts for a long time, > a week at times. Eventually everything has come free.
Even OJ came free... :troll:

Take the lp hose off. Shine a light into the inlet and look at the soft seat. See a hole in the seat? If yes, you have a 156/Balanced Adjustable. If no, you have a 109. (Thanks to Luis H for that tip)

Neither a 108 or a 109 has a difficult to remove/replace diaphragm. Your friend may have been referring to an AIR 1, Pilot, or one of the D series regulators. BTW VDH has replacement diaphragms for your 109/BA if needed.

Back
Top Bottom