Need DS Undergarment for cold water wimp in SoCal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Phil. Do they have a "Bear Wear" undergarment?

Where are you on the cold water wimp scale? I remember you wear separates yes? Non branded...
I use one of their Bearwear suits and stay pretty warm here and up at Vancouver Island. I'm such a wimp that I can't even dive in SoCal without dry gloves. I'm toasty down to 46°, but I haven't dived anything colder than that yet.

Would you post a picture of your current undergarment? We need to know what you currently use to give you any meaningful advice. Like you, I get cold quite easily. I have used the Fourth Element Arctic undergarment and found it inadequate for California waters (Monterey/Carmel). I was far warmer in the Whites Thermal Fusion. If you're not going to migrate to Thinsulate, consider the Bare SB undergarment with a good heavy weight baselayer. Personally, I would rate the Thermal Fusion and Bare SB on equal terms with the Fourth Element Arctic far behind.

Save your pennies and buy something that will keep you warm. Be mindful that the Thinsulate suits like the Santi BZ400 doesn't have any stretch. If it's too tight, it will seriously affect your movements.

I use one of their Bearwear suits and stay pretty warm here and up at Vancouver Island. I'm such a wimp that I can't even dive in SoCal without dry gloves. I'm toasty down to 46°, but I haven't dived anything colder than that yet.

Is the Bearwear suit referring to the drysuit undergarment? What's it made of? Do you have any other layers over/under it?

Would you post a picture of your current undergarment? We need to know what you currently use to give you any meaningful advice. Like you, I get cold quite easily. I have used the Fourth Element Arctic undergarment and found it inadequate for California waters (Monterey/Carmel). I was far warmer in the Whites Thermal Fusion. If you're not going to migrate to Thinsulate, consider the Bare SB undergarment with a good heavy weight baselayer. Personally, I would rate the Thermal Fusion and Bare SB on equal terms with the Fourth Element Arctic far behind.

Save your pennies and buy something that will keep you warm. Be mindful that the Thinsulate suits like the Santi BZ400 doesn't have any stretch. If it's too tight, it will seriously affect your movements.
Curious....were you wearing the artic with another base layer underneath, or on its own? Just got my first drysuit and I've sort of been looking at both (although not loving the cost of either one). I figure the artic is really only a fair comparison to the fusion if you pair it up with another layer, since that's what you're getting with the two part fusion system as well.

I'm not sure what material it is. I believe it's a double layer one piece suit similar to one that DUI sells. I wear mu underwear and a thick pair of socks with it. It keeps me warm diving in Canada but makes me sweat when the water gets into the 60s.

Curious....were you wearing the artic with another base layer underneath, or on its own? Just got my first drysuit and I've sort of been looking at both (although not loving the cost of either one). I figure the artic is really only a fair comparison to the fusion if you pair it up with another layer, since that's what you're getting with the two part fusion system as well.
In the same situation as you, and same location (SoCal - redondo, PV, channel islands, catalina, etc). Trying to find something that works with a Fusion Bullet suit. A friend of mine with the same suit, who admits to getting cold easily, uses just the Arctic around here (no base layer). Not sure how much deep diving there is, but he mentioned it was sufficient. Seeing as I sweat pretty good, I might add a simple base layer for moisture wicking. Not sure what material

Anyway, my question is - would it be better to do a base layer plus the Arctic, or a single-piece solution such as the Whites Thermal Fusion? Seems like having separate layers is better than only one layer.

You need a wicking layer. I like polypro undies. Lots of the guys here swear by merino wool. If you have wicking undies used for outdoor sport, give those a try.

I love my Arctic. The socks and handwarmers are a great addition.

You need a wicking layer. ...//...
I agree and I am also one of those who loves his merino wool. That is what you feel against your skin so it is (to me) most important. @FinnMom and @Storker turned me on to Aclima wool. They should know, and as far as I'm concerned, they are right...

Put cheap polyester on top for loft and you have something that will work in a drysuit.

I wore the same baselayer with the Fourth Element Arctic and with the Whites Thermal Fusion. I have worn several from an inexpensive brand to very expensive Craft baselayers. Was always far warmer with the Thermal Fusion.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom