Need DS Undergarment for cold water wimp in SoCal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the advice. I'm not the original poster, but I've narrowed in on the fourth element arctic and a merino base layer. Looking at these:

Lapasa Men’s Merino Wool Thermal Sets Midweight Base Layer Top & Bottom M31 (Medium, Black) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07589NPZP/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_ykrfAb678VJ1A

That one looks fine but maybe a bit thin /see through, so maybe something more substantial:
WoolX X705 Mens Heavyweight Bottoms - New Black - MED https://www.amazon.com/dp/B010W0QTDO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_uorfAb7A0VXMM

Woolx Glacier - Men's Merino Wool Base Layer Top - Heavyweight Baselayer Crew Shirt For Extreme Warmth - MED -BLK https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GCCNOXK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_FqrfAbYKBP5SD

I have yet to dive the drysuit (will take a class for sure) but from the advice so far these would seem to work for diving - there is a flap on the bottoms for the P valve. Might sew on some stirrups and thumb loops...

Looking around the boat in San Diego last weekend and half the divers were dry. There was at least one DUI thermals, and the rest were 4th element. Everyone had there own favorites, but the 1-piece was the winner. The layers (if present) were 2-piece. Beyond that it was personal preference. From fleece with a couple layers under it to a 4th element 3D with just a wicking poly shirt under it (myself). No matter everyone was comfortable in there own way. I didn't even realize the water was 55° until I looked at the computer. Hour long dive and I could have done more.

In the same situation as you, and same location (SoCal - redondo, PV, channel islands, catalina, etc). Trying to find something that works with a Fusion Bullet suit. A friend of mine with the same suit, who admits to getting cold easily, uses just the Arctic around here (no base layer). Not sure how much deep diving there is, but he mentioned it was sufficient. Seeing as I sweat pretty good, I might add a simple base layer for moisture wicking. Not sure what material

Anyway, my question is - would it be better to do a base layer plus the Arctic, or a single-piece solution such as the Whites Thermal Fusion? Seems like having separate layers is better than only one layer.
I have the Thermal Fusion and I still wear a lightweight polypropylene base layer to wick away moisture.

The clearance/going out of business garments that SC sold were worn out a number of years ago. While they "were" 200 gram, thermal efficiency was more like 100g. Good for anything above 70 degrees.

If you want a one piece, consider Thermal Fusion. If you are not apposed to two-piece Fourth Element Arctics or Arctics Expedition.
Before I dropped 40 pounds I used a Thermal Fusion with a thermal base layer (Hot Chilli's) in 38 degree water. Now its a Halo 3D.
My wife, who hates being cold, dives the Arctics and has no issues with 50 degree SoCal waters for an hour.

Hollywood Divers and Bambooreef are listed as Fourth Element Test Centers, consider contacting them and see about trying one the their garments.

Looking at the Fourth Element Arctic, what are the pros and cons of two piece vs one piece? In my mind, the two piece seems more versatile but has the potential to gap in the midriff. Thoughts appreciated as always.

So just out of curiosity, what do people think of the DUI XM450?

Very nice undergarment with flex panel in the right areas. I wish they would taper the leg, like the Santi BZ400. Happy with mine, as I have done several dives in excess of 2.0 hours (Monterey/Carmel area). Was still toasty 1.5 hours with a leaking dry suit. As I get cold easily, I stopped looking at the thinner stuff. Also, if I have deco and something happens to my suit, I need something that can help me withstand the exposure. Might want to consider that as well, when buying drysuit undergarments.

I feel like there must be something wrong with my Thermal Fusion. I dive the Thermal Fusion with a Fusion Tech Drysuit. A few days ago, did a dive in 61 degree water and still found myself getting chilled.

Admittedly, I wasn't wearing a base layer, but still 61 degree water? Wondering if it's the Fusion Tech suit and that damned plastic bag....

you might just get cold easily. i have dove my thermal fusion down to 46F with a fusion tech and it has been toasty. it gets too warm if it is above 60F to me. I do use an undergarment always though.

Back
Top Bottom