Cancun to Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am of the school that when in Mexico, use pesos. There are bank ATM's in the airport terminal and the exchange rate is whatever your bank charges you plus the service fee for the machine (usually about $1.50 USD). Then again what I do not use this month I can always use the following month. Figure 2-3 hrs transit time depending on the timing of the bus / ferry,. I have never used the 'luggage guys', I usually am very early morning trying to catch the 8AM dive boat or late evening try to catch the last ferry.

Mexico just increased the minimum wage to about $4.70 USD a day. This is just to put costs in perspective, not as a lever to suppress tips, which most folks earn and deserve.

Pardon my confusion. You want to dive in Cozumel. Why not just fly to Cozumel? Seems a lot less hassle if your goal is dive in Cozumel.

Steve C for me there is quite a cost difference from DFW usually. Looking for January flights to Cancun I am seeing $230-$290 RT and to Cozumel over $700. The bag drag is really not that big of a deal and I can usually get to the island earlier on arrival day due to more flights to choose from and I can find later departure flights and slowly make my way there, usually have to be out of the room by 11 anyway.

As far as tipping goes, the ops I have used in Cozumel divide the tips with the DM and boat captain, this could change daily.

I just ran the numbers on American Airlines, 1-4-18 to 1-11-18, OKC to CZM was $591 round trip, OKC to Cancun was $335. $250 savings x 2(gotta take the wife) basically covers our stay at Casa Mexicana. It's costs $80 for the 2 of us round trip to do the bag drag. Still saves $400. Bus is nice, ferry is nice, the walk is less than 2 or 3 blocks.

Bag drag works for us and lets us go more often. That's why we do it.

Jay

Hi Steve,

I live outside of Austin and we can get a direct flight to/from Cancun. Just not enough demand to justify a direct flight into CZM. By the time I add in time for a flight to either DFW or IAH and the layover, I am both time and money ahead.

Personally, I tip at the end of the dive. I have been told by the dm/crew that a lot of times they don't see the tips left at the end of the trip.

As far as tipping goes.. I would tip more than the states on the smaller boats because of the level of service. They set up the gear for me on both dives (and I hate switching tanks myself). I tipped 300 pesos (about $18). Elloti my dive master got a little more so she could buy more high heels :)

Tipping is a very personal thing. for me the DM's it is 12-15US for a two tank.
$1 for the ADO luggage loader and if I use the tricycle guys $5US. I bring a lot of stuff.
Don't think it has been mentioned, but I buy for the next ferry leaving and only one way.
all three are fine and take about the same amount of time to get to COZ.
Make sure you get luggage tags for the ferry, I learned the hard way after all luggage was lost when I did not get tags.
ADO bus if fine. I have recently learned that you can get assigned seating. My wife likes the front seat. I pay in pesos for ADO and ferry.
I no longer walk from the ferry to Casa. Taxi is 40-50pesos and with all the gear we bring it is worth it after a long day of travel.
I give the porter at Casa a couple of dollars to haul it all up to the room and vise versa.
Maids 2-3US day, breakfast 2US.
If you want something more private we now take a private shuttle from Cancun to Playa. It does cost more, but I believe for 4 it would be a wash. We now do it for the two of us. Nice and comfy with stops for beer and snacks. The wife enjoyed the shuttle for sure. Tip on that $5US plus the cost of the ride.
In regards to the cost; We used to always fly into COZ, but it is a red eye for us and a 3-5 hour layover in Houston. Now however the cost is around $670 on selective days only. flying into Cancun is $240RT nonstop. Also have an option of day time or red eye, but wife prefers days flight.
Ok enjoy

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom