Cancun to Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver2018

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So I'd like to fly into Cancun, then I'd like to head down to Cozumel. As I undertstand it, the process would something like this. Never been out of the country but can manage my way around a mass transit system. My daypack will have my dive computer, mask(with prescription lens), regulator setup, hygiene kit, logbook, pair shorts and spare tshirt. My rolling duffle will contain BCD, wet suit, fins, snorkel, a few spare clothes.
Fly into Cancun, pick up baggage, go through customs, get ticket for bus down to Ferry Port, board bus, make sure gear baggage gets loaded onto bus, keep my daypack with me.
My questions are:
1) How difficult is it to get the ticket for the bus down to they ferry port? Do I need pesos for this?
2) Same question for ferry tickets. Do I need pesos?
3) Regarding checked baggage on both air trips, I have two concerns. Do loose batteries need to be "containerized"? Can I take a small tool set? Like one of those "all in one diving tools"?
4) Does Cozumel use 110V like US or do I need a travel converter?
5) Tipping for dives. I plan on using the same dive service all week. Do I tip daily or at the end of the week? Assuming I get good service does $10 for a two tank dive sound like a "good tip". I am accustomed to tipping 15-20% at a restaurant when I get what I consider exceptional service. So knowing that does the $10USD for a 2 tank dive sound reasonable?

Its all right here...tipping...sooner the better to get even better service...IMHO..I tip after each dive.

Bit the Bullet...First Bag Drag

About the tipping...sometimes you get a different DM or a different boat captain on different days, so I tip after every 2-tank trip, to make sure the right people get it. I think USD$10/2-tank is a good rule of thumb (low end), more if they did a really good job. They always impress me so I tend to give more.

Both the ADO bus and Cozumel ferry will take US$. Don't buy 2 way ferry ticket there are 3 ferry companies and they run different times, at least hourly.
110 power is everywhere same plug as USA
Tools and batteries should be in checked baggage. Airlines don't like large LiPos
don't know anything about tipping, I'm Canadian :wink:

This video helped us tremendously.

We’ve done the trip since first visiting and viewing this resource about 5 times,
The airport has changed a bit, undergone some expansions and improvements, but the video still hold true and it’s a wonderful resource.
Enjoy your trip.

Ricardo

Once you have cleared customs and have pushed the button for green or red (red means your luggage is going to be inspected) then you will head out to the indoor area with all of the car rentals etc. In this short section you will be "running the gauntlet of salespeople" trying to "help" you. Stop if you want to - or just keep going until your outside. Enjoy Mexico!!! We have been there many times. :)

1) How difficult is it to get the ticket for the bus down to they ferry port? Do I need pesos for this?

Easy, if you fly into terminal 3, walk through the exit doors and buy your ticket at the little podium. If you fly into terminal 2 (Southwest) buy your ticket at the Ado booth inside, walk out turn right to just past gate 8, turn right again and walk about a block. You will see the big busses. Don't forget to tip the luggage guys. No pesos neded, but you get a slightly better price if you do.

I saw a mention of a terminal 4 last month...don't know anything about it.

2) Same question for ferry tickets. Do I need pesos?
Slightly better price if you do.

3) Regarding checked baggage on both air trips, I have two concerns. Do loose batteries need to be "containerized"? Can I take a small tool set? Like one of those "all in one diving tools"?
As I understand it, batteries must be in a device or container. Tools ...depends on which agent you get. In theory, tools can not be bought in. My guess if it looked valueable, it's gonna get seized. I would not take anything you weren't ready to lose. I like to be self sufficient and fix anything that may come up, but in reality, any tool you might need will probably be on the boat. My last trip, last month, a man had a small box of a few allen wrenches and a small stainless crescent wrench and he said sometimes they take the wrench...sometimes not.

4) Does Cozumel use 110V like US or do I need a travel converter?

5) Tipping for dives. I plan on using the same dive service all week. Do I tip daily or at the end of the week? Assuming I get good service does $10 for a two tank dive sound like a "good tip". I am accustomed to tipping 15-20% at a restaurant when I get what I consider exceptional service. So knowing that does the $10USD for a 2 tank dive sound

I usually tip 10, unless the dive was just fantastic, then 15 to 20.

Have fun!
Jay

Re:. tipping the luggage guys. Like a buck for every bag for every load unload at bus and ferry? Would that be fair.

Yes...I usually have a stash of ones in my pocket. Literally, they move your bag less than 10 feet and put it under the bus. If you don't tip, they will ask for one. Considering what their pay is, I don't have a problem helping out with a dollar total for both bags.

I usually don't mess with pesos. Take lots of $1s and $5s if you don't. I did notice that the exchange rate at the ferry pier in Cozumel was higher than most I saw elsewhere. I don't know if there is a "standard" conversion fee charged or some other hidden cost.

Jay

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom