29 Yr Old Mares Power Plana

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am certifying through a cruise ship PADI OW course. My 29 yr old Mares Power Plana fins look larger and a bit less sophisticated than modern fins. They were last used about 10 yrs ago for snorkeling performed well. The material seems fine and the rubber is not faded or cracked - still stretches and holds tight.

Are these fins still considered reasonable for diving? Would new fins perform significantly better or are these considered a solid classic?

Thanks

Yes to question one and no to question two. Have a very close look at the straps, I'd upgrade them to the new Mares "bungee" (actually rubber) straps.

Nothing wrong with them as a fin! I have two pairs in my loaner gear pile. Dove them myself a couple dozen dives this summer. White/clear version. As mentioned the fin strap material can be disintegrated. I needed to replace one set two years ago.

From what I've noticed it seems fin marketing research has exceeded fin technology development over the years but the pretty new fins result in very little perceivable performance differences overall... Feel free to experiment with various fins in the coming years but no pressure for an immediate "upgrade"

Enjoy your diving!
Cameron

I have some old Dacor full-foot fins from about the same era that look very basic and outdated. They work just as well as my ScubaPro Twin Jets, and I like to use them if I have no need to wear booties. Consumer products need innovation (or more accurately the appearance of innovation) to encourage people to buy new versions.

I used to have a pair of full foot Mares Power Plana fins . Best fin I ever
used !

Sea Dwellers

@Izak M

Would you check the bottom of your fins? Is there the name Herb Van Der Pol embossed in raised letters ?
Herb was the designer /developer of the Power Plana and all of the original fins have the embossing You just might have an original pair of Power Planas

If they do -- there is an interesting story about Herb and the fins which I will relate

SAM MILLER, III

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom