Scubapro Jet-Fin - a good starting point for Intro2Tech?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bernie_U

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
For many years, I dive the Mares Avanti Quattro in both wet and dry-suit. When I took my recreational Wreck Diver class, my instructor highly recommended to get new fins with a shorter blade, which are more suitable for wreck diving. Now I consider to go further on the wreck diving path, starting with the Advanced Nitrox & Deco. That implies training the different fin kicks. So, I am looking for a new pair of fins that are
  • shorter than the Avanti Quattro
  • good for fin-kick training
From my research here in SB, other boards and Youtube, I learned that the best match was the classic Scubapro Jet-Fin or one of its clones. I came to the preliminary conclusion that the original suits my needs best. I don't want to trigger another discussion about specific models. But I would like to ask you for the criteria that I should check when doing my market research. Here is what I found out so far:
  1. Beginner's Fins: Following the comments from other threads, rubber fins (eg. original Scubapro) are a little softer than the more rigid plastic fins (OMS Slipstream, deep6 Eddy). For a beginner like me, who still needs to build up his muscles, this would slightly favor the rubber fins. (I do not expect the difference to be huge.) Other manufacturer provide up to three different hardness or stiffness, there must be a reason why.
  2. Foot pocket: Most of the clones have a better shaped foot pocket than the original made from rubber, but the less flexible plastic material seems to cancel that advantage. For example, some users report a pain on the instep after long dives (1 hour plus). On the other hand, choosing the right size for a Scubapro is apparently some sort of gambling, some years ago the sizes were changed (new XL added, old XL is current XXL). But, another point for the original Scubapro.
  3. Buoyancy: Sometimes, a negatively buoyant fin is useful to compensate for a top-heavy trim. For me this is no issue.
  4. Weight: The original Scubapro's can be twice as heavy as a lightweight clone. When travelling by plane, weight is an issue. One point for the ligther clones.
  5. Length: The true Jet-Fin clones have almost the same length. Just for the sake of completeness, the length criterion rules out other tech fins. For example, the Apeks RK3 is n terms of length half way between the Jet Fin and the Avanti Quattro.
  6. Quality, straps: Spring straps are the established standard. Hard to find anything else on the market. Quality may be different with colored models (less resistant to sun light). Pure rubber fins are cast in one piece, the other materials might be composed. But I doubt there is an effect besides marketing talk.
Did I miss anything?

Good fin, negatively bouyant. 2 less pounds of lead weight. Think package weight.

JetFin is too heavy for me, doesn't fit my foot well. I do not think the Deep6 Eddy is stiff.

I highly recommend bungee straps over springs. They're easier to don/doff, quick and easy to install(use a zip tie rather than a knot like in the photo), and a lot cheaper. They last several hundred to over 1,000 dives before needing to be replaced.
dscf2972-jpg-397057-jpg-450505-jpg-455580-jpg.462242.jpg

There are minor differences between the Scubapro Jet fin, Aqualung Rocket fin (although I didn’t see it in the latest catalog - perhaps it is being discontinued in lieu of the RK3 fin), the Apeks RK3 fin, XS Scuba Turtle fins, and others. From experience, I’ve only dealt with the Jet, Rocket, and RK3 fins. The RK3 are a bit softer so I prefer the Jet fins. However, the RK3 fins fit one of my drysuits better so I prefer them for that particular drysuit; for my trilam drysuit and wetsuit booties the Jet fin fits just fine.

It isn’t always possible, but try each set or at least go into a shop, with your booties, and try them on to make sure they fit well. For example, the Jet fin comes with a spring strap (SP does offer a black set without springs, but not the colored ones) that fits wetsuit divers wearing booties quite well. One who is using a drysuit will find the spring strap is too short/tight and must replace it with a longer one. In my former area most purchased the black set that didn’t come with a spring and purchased XS Scuba springs because it was cheaper than replacing the spring on a colored set.

Thanks to you of all for your advice and the variety of hints! Sounds like I should better wait for the re-opening of the dive shops and try a few models and sizes. I have found the black Scubapros without springs only in two shops, with the exception of XXL fins, which always come without springs.

The XXL Jet fins are huge. Use them with drysuit boots.

I was head-heavy carrying a twin steel set. Jet fins help offset the tank weight.

You can't beat Jet fins for maneuverability.

There are quite some differences in buoyancy between the different Jet-style fins. Some are positively buoyant (Apeks RK3), some are neutral (Tecline Lightjet), some are negatively buoyant (Scubapro Jetfin, Tecline PowerJet, Tecline Jetstream).
The Mares Avanti Quattro + also is neutral in terms of buoyancy. I went for the Tecline Lightjets to replace them. The Lightjets are equally heavy (2020 grams for a pair in size L) and equal in buoyancy (neutral). The Lightjets are about 12 cm shorter than the Avanti Quattros, and on the softer side compared to other jetfin-style monoprene fins.

I have had both ScubaPro Jets and Turtles over the years. Ultimately, I prefer the Turtles, for their negative buoyancy, stiff blades(to propel doubles or sidemount rigs), and are great for back-finning. No to mention being pretty much indestructible.

Back
Top Bottom