ISO used Shearwater petrel 1 or 2 computer (advice)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jack56

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am looking to buy a used shearwater computer, any advice? What is the difference between the 1 and 2?
Is the predator good? noticed it does not have LED lighting.

will need it for open circuit Technical diving, decompression diving. Looking for something in decent condition.

Get a Petrel 2 or a perdix. Petrel 1 doesn’t have the digital compass. P2 and perdix are functionally identical, only difference is the size/form factor (perdix is a bit smaller) and the perdix has an option for a custom splash screen.

Predator was good but it’s vastly overshadowed by the perdix.

The Predator actually has a nicer OLED display but it's bulkier than the Petrel/Perdix. The last firmware update was two years ago, so it doesn't have recreational mode, and of course, no compass or AI. OTOH, it has the same deco software as the current models, so if you find one in good shape at a price you like it will do the job.

Last edited:
I have owned the Petrel 1 and 2s, now using a Perdix. There are really only a few differences:

Predator - larger form factor, no rec mode, no compass.
Petrel 1 - slightly smaller form factor, no compass
Petrel 2 - slightly smaller form factor, no AI
Perdix - smaller form factor, no AI
Perdix AI - does not talk like the Parrot.

Look at the classified for prices. Here is what I see average: Predator ~$450, Petrel 1 ~$500, Petrel 2 ~$550, Perdix, ~$650,

I'll sell my Petrel 2 for $550, shipped. Screen protector has two scratches (see photo), none on screen underneath.
Haven't used it since I got my Perdix AI (note the 335 day SI!).
upload_2017-12-17_14-15-11.png

I have a Petrel 1 I'm selling. Still in very good condition. I can share photos if you're interested. Asking $400.

Interested in a Petrel also if anyone has an extra one lying around collecting dust.

I would love one too.
I only see the ones advertised with 10 dives and near perfect condition.
I would love a beater that's still functional but WELL used and priced accordingly.

@Shearwater found some brand new Predators in their stock and are selling them for super cheap with full warranty. If you don't need the compass or the AI they're fantastic computers. I love the screen and they're my preference over any of the other Shearwater computers. Only thing I wish is that it was possible to get some of the newer software updates like stack timer.

Just got my petrel from @JimBlay this morning, and this thing is amazing. I can not believe how easy it is to navigate through, especially compared to my hollis DG03. I was worried about giving it to my 14 year old son but think it will be easy enough for him to use. Thanks @JimBlay, computer is in great shape, great doing business with you. If you upgrade again, keep me in mind as I am looking for another petrel.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom