New Geo 2.0, temp reading high

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aloha Joe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Brand new - surface temp reading mid 80s since I opened it ~6 hours ago. It's 55F outside and I've been wearing it. Not sure what temp is inside but no way it's close to 86F.

Firmware is r1i (latest).

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Maybe it was sensing heat from my arm. I didn't think so at first since it said 80-something degrees when I first opened the box and turned it on, and it basically stayed within 2 degrees for hours. But now it's off my arm it appears to be cooling down. I'll see what it looks like in the morning (well later this morning :) )

How do you like it so far? Hoping to pick up 2 in a couple of weeks.

I’ve had one for several years. I can’t say I’ve ever paid attention to air temperature readings but I have observed that it consistently reads 2 degrees higher for bottom temperature than everyone else on the boat. Now that I know that I just mentally subtract 2 degrees.
Love the computer despite that oddity

I have one, and the surface temp reading sometimes seems odd, but no issue with bottom temp. Usually dive with buddy’s that have Mares and Suunto and we always agree on bottom temp.
Love my Geo 2

Should be within a few degrees of 'average'. I don't think most DC thermometers are precision instruments. The sensor is buried inside and takes awhile to equilibrate.

How do you like it so far? Hoping to pick up 2 in a couple of weeks.

Great computer. Make sure you do the DiveNav online class if the interface confuses you. Well worth the $8

Should be within a few degrees of 'average'. I don't think most DC thermometers are precision instruments. The sensor is buried inside and takes awhile to equilibrate.
The specs on typical dive computers are +/- 4 deg F, or 2 deg C. Shearwater doesn't even give a spec for temperature accuracy, nor does oceanic for the Geo 2. And they easily take 10-15 minutes to equilibrate to ambient temperature. So when you dip below the thermocline for a minute to see how cold it is, forget using your DC to tell you.

If you really want to know, submerge your DC in a water bath for 30 mins and use a precision thermometer to tell you the water-bath temperature. My wife did this, and her ProPlus2 reads 2F high, her Geo2 reads 2F low, and her ancient Casio digital dive watch is spot on.

Mine is definitely picking up body temp. Not saying it’s a fault but it’s mildly annoying. If I dive w/o a wetsuit that would mean it’s giving higher than expected temps. But not a huge deal.

It seems decent. I didn’t pay retail for it so I’m happy. Since I have a Veo 180 I basically upgraded to a slightly smaller case with (hopefully) easier to read graphs and maybe some bottom timers I may or may not use. Oh and now I have a warranty and working backlight :)

For the money it seems like the best thing out there. For those on a budget the new Aqualung i100 looks pretty good. But I think I got Geo for only $50 more.

It’s not the kind of thing I’d wear regularly but could see myself keeping it on for a dive trip. I guess that’s the idea, so it can track your nitrogen.

My VT3 is reliably 2 degrees cold, my wife's PP2 is reliably a degree warm, my Geo2 is right on. Once you know how your computer reads, you can just correct it, close enough

Back
Top Bottom