Solved: Who am I talking to?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
lowviz

lowviz

Solo Diver
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
@The Chairman

Dear sir,
Would you consider making dive professionals (DM and above) immediately distinct from 'just divers' on this fine social board? I gain a lot of insight by being able to determine the 'flavor' of the poster and have recently been greatly surprised to learn of their professional status. I find this to be most unsettling.

It matters. You (posters) are or aren't posting as a professional. The unwashed massed don't always know this. Your SB persona does not reflect this as it should. No, we aren't all the same. Professionalism comes with obligations, titles, and transparency.

Show yourselves...

I so agree with this statement, but I believe the OP is concerned about conflicts of interest. If he wasn't, he should be. If you sell Xwidgets and are all positive about Xwidgets on here, then I want to know about that. Even more so if you're posting negative crap about Zwidgets, your competitor.
It's not the Xwidgets that concern me ... it's all the Perdix commercials. You'd think all these people own stock in Shearwater. A brand-new diver comes in here and asks what's a good first computer, and three quarters of the responses tell him to buy a Perdix. And this to a guy who hasn't even learned about safety stops yet, much less what makes an appropriate gradient setting for beginner dives.

... and this ain't, I assure you, coming from people who work in dive shops ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I tend to find open forums to be comparable to today's journalism. You have somebody throwing their thoughts, experiences, and "facts" into a particular topic only to have much of it go unverified or without merit. You have to take every word with a grain of salt, assume it's wrong, and do your own work to prove it's true. It's a lot of work, which is why I try not to watch the news and stay off of social media haha. I will always take forum discussion as professional opinions, because everyone's experiences hold value. Some experiences are just more valuable than others.

Last edited:
A brand-new diver comes in here and asks what's a good first computer, and three quarters of the responses tell him to buy a Perdix.
We do have bandwagons and that probably started with BP&Wings being promoted every time BCs come up. However, I agree that the Perdix is probably the best thing out there for a PDC. Even if you're not going the tech route, I think it's great. They are an advertiser as are other PDC manufacturers. They aren't the only PDC I have or will use, but they have proven themselves and are pop-pop-popular here on SB for some very good reasons. I think it's more amazing when a product has a strong and vocal fan base than only being promoted by those who make money from selling them.
Some experiences are just more valuable than others.
Ain't it the truth. Ain't it the truth!

Just sleep in a Holiday Inn Express and your a brain on all subject matters....want me to tell you how to make a snorkel out of toilet paper roll and cats liver?

The
It's not the Xwidgets that concern me ... it's all the Perdix commercials. You'd think all these people own stock in Shearwater. A brand-new diver comes in here and asks what's a good first computer, and three quarters of the responses tell him to buy a Perdix. And this to a guy who hasn't even learned about safety stops yet, much less what makes an appropriate gradient setting for beginner dives.

... and this ain't, I assure you, coming from people who work in dive shops ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Perdix gets all the fanboy praise because they really are that good.

We do have bandwagons and that probably started with BP&Wings being promoted every time BCs come up. However, I agree that the Perdix is probably the best thing out there for a PDC. Even if you're not going the tech route, I think it's great. They are an advertiser as are other PDC manufacturers. They aren't the only PDC I have or will use, but they have proven themselves and are pop-pop-popular here on SB for some very good reasons. I think it's more amazing when a product has a strong and vocal fan base than only being promoted by those who make money from selling them.

Ain't it the truth. Ain't it the truth!

... so you think it's appropriate to be telling a brand new diver they should spend $900+ on a dive computer with capabilities they'll probably never use, and an algorithm that can easily get them in trouble if they misprogram it?

I don't. For most casual divers a $300 nitrox computer will give them everything they'll ever need unless they decide to go tech, and comes with software that doesn't require a supplemental book on decompression theory. Use that extra money to purchase a higher quality regulator or exposure suit.

FWIW - I do think the Perdix is a fine piece of gear. I just don't think it's the best choice for everyone, and far from the most practical choice for a new diver.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

The

Perdix gets all the fanboy praise because they really are that good.

Understood ... but sometimes it's helpful to consider the audience ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Back
Top Bottom