Newbie to Bonaire: Questions & Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I’m not sure where you are parking for Something Special but I dove it today parked right next to the beach. 15 yards max.
Last time I was there, we couldn't find anywhere close to park, as there were no parking signs along that road. We parked off the main road and walked. I measured it in Google Earth and it's just over 70 yards.

The secret is to go down the side street on the southern edge of the parking lot and hang a right on the water front street. It is one way to the south but two way to the north (right). You can park anywhere at the end that is not blocking the big gate to the adjacent house. I usually park on the gravel section next to the path from the parking lot. You can park on the path too. Nothing besides people will come down it.

The secret is to go down the side street on the southern edge of the parking lot and hang a right on the water front street.

Unfortunately this is no secret. This parking spot is often overcrowded with several trucks and driving around the one-way block looking for parking gets old fast. I've found that I can get in the water faster by just parking in the big open lot on the main road and making the short easy walk to the entry.

Last time I was there, we couldn't find anywhere close to park, as there were no parking signs along that road. We parked off the main road and walked. I measured it in Google Earth and it's just over 70 yards.
Yeah, ask Jimw about this; he was there last time I was.

Much thanks for all the info. While all my equipment is regularly used in the pool during every summer playing and cleaning, wife and I will get a guide for the first day to ensure all is good. Thereafter we will concentrate on some of the sites mentioned.

I may be back with more questions!

Gerry

Much thanks for all the info. While all my equipment is regularly used in the pool during every summer playing and cleaning, wife and I will get a guide for the first day to ensure all is good. Thereafter we will concentrate on some of the sites mentioned.

I may be back with more questions!

Gerry
We'll be here, vacationing vicariously through you. :)

BONAIRETALK.com is a great source of information.

If you are getting a truck rental, how will you handle the insurance? AFAIK, only one credit card insurance covers trucks. Most all of them cover only cars.
You can either get the insurance they offer with the truck at a cost per day or get American Express Premier insurance and pay for it once for a month. Once you sign up for it, it auto kicks in when you use that AE card for the truck rental.
You can hear a lot about truck rental and costs on bonairetalk.com

it auto kicks in when you use that AE card for the truck rental.
The negative kicker is Buddy Dive.....since the trucks are part of the full rental, and not a rental all by itself, it is not clear if AMEX covers the truck part of the full cost. In addition, if you are going to Buddy Dive with a group, then you are further insulated from the truck rental by whomever you gave money to for the trip, who then in turn paid Buddy Dive. I've not gotten any clear answer from AMEX when I asked about this, so I just pay the daily local insurance cost and write it off as part of the trip.

The negative kicker is Buddy Dive.....since the trucks are part of the full rental, and not a rental all by itself, it is not clear if AMEX covers the truck part of the full cost. In addition, if you are going to Buddy Dive with a group, then you are further insulated from the truck rental by whomever you gave money to for the trip, who then in turn paid Buddy Dive. I've not gotten any clear answer from AMEX when I asked about this, so I just pay the daily local insurance cost and write it off as part of the trip.

I've called AmEx and explained the rental is part of a package deal, I charge the trip on AmEx, so they see that go through. AmEx manually adds the charge to my card.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom