Ferry explosion in Playa del Carmen

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Are all of your tickets for Barcos Caribe?

And where do you get such a great deal on ferry tickets? Those sound like "local" prices.

Those are local (cozumel side runs sales more often) and randomly promotional fares. Sometimes requiring local ID, sometimes not. Sometimes requiring a friend to buy them for you. I only have a couple barcos caribe left. Handful of ultramar at 100 pesos round trip too, bought just before Christmas. Ultramar has been picky about direction of travel on their tickets. So I won't be buying more of them. Had used Mexico waterjet for 100 pesos too...

Turns out that extra 10 pesos should have gone to explosion insurance.

Live and learn.
Cameron

A translation from the site below says that the company's ferries have been taken out of service pending inspections that could take months - and that all ferry service with Cozumel has been temporarily suspended at that port; but I don't know if this site is reliable - it seem rather militant.

http://www.presidioyucatan.mx/atentado-con-bomba-en-ferry-de-playa-del-carmen-videos/

“…all vessels belonging to that company will be taken out of service to make technical reviews that "could take several months."… At this moment the boat crossings from Playa del Carmen to Cozumel and vice versa are suspended…”
Only Barcos Caribe is suspended - not Ultramar or Mexico waterjets

They have more than one boat

The report that I've just posted above said that all of that company's boats will be taken out of service for inspections that could take months - but that report has not been verified.

I'll admit it, that plan blew up in my face!

For the curious minds: I buy a dozen tickets at a time when they are 90 pesos roundtrip. They expire in 6 months and can be shared.

I dislike getting to the ferry and discovering price doubled over night and needing tickets. I'm occasional diving for cave mapping on the mainland so am back and forth.

Wonder which is the "safest" vessel now. I hadn't considered explosions in my dive risk management plan.
Other than infrequent rate increases, I havet experienced that. But I show my INE (MX voter registration/official MX ID) and get local rates anyway

Other than infrequent rate increases, I havet experienced that. But I show my INE (MX voter registration/official MX ID) and get local rates anyway

Local rate in playa 4 days ago is 140 barco, ultramar local rate was over 200 (220?) still. I didn't check waterjet. They fluctuate.

I've watched 7 price changes in the last 5 months. My friend lives in Playa and works in Cozumel. It's significant in his daily commute.

Local rate in playa 4 days ago is 140 barco, ultramar local rate was over 200 (220?) still. I didn't check waterjet. They fluctuate.

I've watched 7 price changes in the last 5 months. My friend lives in Playa and works in Cozumel. It's significant in his daily commute.
WOW - that's crazy - makes sense for you to buy them when price is low -

Specualtion may be wrong but it's so much fun! And it isn't picking on Mexico because it's done any time there is a big event like this anywhere in the world.

I also find the apparent blast origin to be inconsistent with an engine room explosion. Where are the pics of the engine room? It should be destroyed and blackened. Could there be exhaust or ventilation pipes running inside the side walls of ship and the weak point was where we saw the flash? The origin appears to be by the wall as no seats were blown out.

Damage appears minor. All the broken glass and pieces of flimsy aluminum siding make it look bad but what significant structural damage is there?

Tourists will NOT stop coming because there was an explosion on a ferry.

Tourists WILL stop coming if they believe the government is whitewashing it and not conducting a legitimate investigation.

Tourists WILL stop coming if they believe it was a deliberate act and the government is too weak or corrupt to do anything to prevent it from happening again.

WOW - that's crazy - makes sense for you to buy them when price is low -

I once got myself stuck in playa without ID during Christmas. One way cost me 170, after that I've bought in bulk....

Though this thread shows me an unexpected flaw in my theory. Does feel a little selfish to be thinking about considering the injured in the blast...

Back
Top Bottom