Ferry explosion in Playa del Carmen

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The damage doesn’t seem great enough for a high order explosive, and that white smoke is throwing me off.
A small amount will do that, just a few pounds. I've seen a suicide vest do much the same to a bus before.

The smoke appears to be a residual small fire, or there is a possibility of an on-board AFES.

I’m just thinking a primarily wood, aluminum, and fiberglass boat like that would sustain a lot more damage than I can see in the pictures. Then again i’m on my phone so i’m sure i’m missing something. You’d definitely know better than I would for sure.

I've drawn my preliminary conclusion and I conclude this was a bomb planted by who knows for who knows what reason. The final report issued by Mexican authorities will probably state it was a gas explosion of some sort related to a mechanical failure of some sort to be accepted and forgotten about by the few among the tourist masses who even care to follow it. The reality is, it will be forgotten.

It certainly isn't going to impact my travel plans to Coz as I always fly direct to Coz but perhaps it could others who do the bag drag. At the end of the day, my odds of being killed in a car crash driving to work are far greater than being blown up or killed in Coz (I stopped renting scooters a long long time ago :wink:).

For the landside video, if you are referring to the second video in the thread, it was a stationary security cam, so I expect that it's be pointed on the ferries. The movement is very regular, and is caused by the wind.

No doubt you are right but when I watched it I was under the impression that it was hand-held and it immediately looked suspicious to me. But I think everyone is suspicious--I live in the USA where mass shootings are common.

I’m just thinking a primarily wood, aluminum, and fiberglass boat like that would sustain a lot more damage than I can see in the pictures. Then again i’m on my phone so i’m sure i’m missing something. You’d definitely know better than I would for sure.
Caveating that we don't know that it was a bomb, we don't know the placement or size of the charge.

No doubt you are right but when I watched it I was under the impression that it was hand-held and it immediately looked suspicious to me. But I think everyone is suspicious--I live in the USA where mass shootings are common.
The side of the camera frame has an alignment to the pole on the right. As it flutters in the wind, it returns to that set point everytime. :)

'It ain't personal, it's just business'

Yes.
Lets throw out this blather about natural gas, diesel, and whatever else. As I said in my post # 5, the ONLY shocking thing about this incident is that it took this long. Ultramar and Waterjets have taken a HUGE financial hit since Barcos Caribe came on to the scene.

An important piece of this whole puzzle, if you will, is that Barcos Caribe is the property of Roberto Borge Angulo, who is the former governor of Quintana Roo, who is currently imprisoned on corruption charges.

Gas leak:rofl3:
Natural Gas:rofl3:
Diesel:rofl3:

And we do have the video from the ferry aft of the target. Photographer made the effort to document the time of the blast.

Only time I have seen videos like this are IED attacks.

Back
Top Bottom