Lola, the Cozumel Sqaure Dog, has passed away

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jayfarmlaw

Contributor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
just saw this posted on C4Y. Sad day, but she had a better life than lots of dogs. I never got to pet her, but saw her almost every visit.

With deepest regrets we have to announce the passing of the "town dog" Lola. They say it takes a village and in this case Lola was cared for by Gen Hartman Dr. Julio the vet and Several shopkeepers in the town square - most notably Luis and Chivo - who kept an eye on her let her sleep in their store, made sure she took her meds and wore the variety of sweaters that so many people were kind enough to donate.

Lola touched so many and our lives were brightened by having her in it. She was a shining example of what made Cozumel so special to so many.

Sadly Gen - who has kept us updated with photos and stories for so many years - is traveling today and only had time for a brief statement

"Lola passed away today at 8 AM. She lived her life to the fullest doing what she wanted when she wanted to do it ... Benito Juarez Park was her home since puppyhood. there she had her freedom and the life that she deserved. I will miss her terribly as I know you all will too."

In the future we'd like to have a plaque made to remember her. If you feel so moved Julio's clinic is accepting donations so that other island dogs can benefit from her memory.

Please feel free to share your favorite Lola photo or memory below. A special thanks to Gen for her outstanding caring and Felix CalatayudAgustin Calata for the photo & for letting Gen know.

29386607_10155309742866899_8732547963758493039_n.jpg

LikeShow more reactions
CommentShare

(Apparently, my fingers can't spell Square)
Jay

:'( One afternoon a year or 2 ago I was sitting at Woody's having a drink and she walked up and laid down beside my chair. I scratched her head for about 20 minutes. I felt pretty special, after all the years she growled at me when I tried to get too close. I will definitely miss her the next time I get to the Square....

We will surely miss Lola!!! RIP
Sweet girl!

Lola was Cozumel's Canine Ambassador. We have many good memories of meeting up with her and will miss her. RIP Lola

In February 2017, I had the honor of meeting her at town square.

I remembered I pet her a little before I took these two pictures, because I thought it is pretty funny for her to wear a sweater at 70+ F temperature.

At that time, I did not know she is the famous Cozumel Square dog. Otherwise I would take more pictures.

RIP Lola. While you are watching Cozumel from heaven, please continue to bless this beloved island.

Cozumel 300_020517.JPG

Cozumel 301_020517.JPG

Thank you for posting your Lola stories. There are several on the C4Y Facebook page as well. She really was a self appointed police dog. I always though the "sheriff" title was just from the star nametag. I never made the most favored person list but she would keep an eye on me while I had my Churros (the good ones from the cart by her post...not the bad ones from the cart further East). I must look suspicious...or fat....

In the span of 2 years, we have gone from a 3 dog family to a no dog family, including the best dog I've ever had, due to age and cancer. It makes my heart feel good to see how Lola touched so many lives from all over the world.

Please continue to post any Lola stories you may have.

Jay

just saw this posted on C4Y. Sad day, but she had a better life than lots of dogs. I never got to pet her, but saw her almost every visit.

With deepest regrets we have to announce the passing of the "town dog" Lola. They say it takes a village and in this case Lola was cared for by Gen Hartman Dr. Julio the vet and Several shopkeepers in the town square - most notably Luis and Chivo - who kept an eye on her let her sleep in their store, made sure she took her meds and wore the variety of sweaters that so many people were kind enough to donate.

Lola touched so many and our lives were brightened by having her in it. She was a shining example of what made Cozumel so special to so many.

Sadly Gen - who has kept us updated with photos and stories for so many years - is traveling today and only had time for a brief statement

"Lola passed away today at 8 AM. She lived her life to the fullest doing what she wanted when she wanted to do it ... Benito Juarez Park was her home since puppyhood. there she had her freedom and the life that she deserved. I will miss her terribly as I know you all will too."

In the future we'd like to have a plaque made to remember her. If you feel so moved Julio's clinic is accepting donations so that other island dogs can benefit from her memory.

Please feel free to share your favorite Lola photo or memory below. A special thanks to Gen for her outstanding caring and Felix CalatayudAgustin Calata for the photo & for letting Gen know.

View attachment 450933

LikeShow more reactions
CommentShare

(Apparently, my fingers can't spell Square)
Jay
R I P GOOD GIRL

Back
Top Bottom