Belize or Cozumel in May?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FilmDork

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey all,

I'm planning a trip to the Caribbean with a friend in mid-May, and we can't decide on whether we should do Belize or Cozumel. I'm an Advanced Open Water diver and my buddy is an instructor. We're big fans of pelagics, and we have about a week or so to explore.

I've heard great things about both places, so any thoughts on which way we should lean would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Coz if u never been...

Never been to the Caribbean at all. All of my dives have been in Southern California and Indonesia (Komodo/Alor/Penida). Psyched to check out a new spot!

When comparing the two locations, I would choose Cozumel for sure. I'd only go to Belize over Cozumel if doing so on a live aboard trip and only if I had already done numerous trips to Cozumel and just wanted a change of pace. #talkingaboutmyself
Let me know if you want recommendations on where to stay and who to dive with.

Cozumel is drift diving, you fall backwards off the boat, and drift with the current in and out of incredible coral formations. When you are done with dive, you surface and the boat is there to pick you up. It is completely different than how you dive at most other Caribbean dive destinations.
Because it is drift diving, and current can vary between mild and shot-out-of-a-cannon fast, it is not really what most people call a beginner experience. Yes, beginners can dive there, they just need to work at it a little more, and stay close to the DM. Regulations are no more than 8 divers per DM for that reason. It is amazing diving for that reason, too.

Hey all,

I'm planning a trip to the Caribbean with a friend in mid-May, and we can't decide on whether we should do Belize or Cozumel. I'm an Advanced Open Water diver and my buddy is an instructor. We're big fans of pelagics, and we have about a week or so to explore.

I've heard great things about both places, so any thoughts on which way we should lean would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

You should try Cozumel. They have some of thee best diving in the Caribbean with much better prices than Belize. If you need more info. about dive shops and accommodations just let me know. I have exclusive packages that no dive group can match. Let me know what you think. I can be reached at 224-432-8165 or carolnetzel1@comcast.net
Thanks,Don (swimmer)

Another vote for Coz with the caveat that I have only stayed in San Pedro and did the local boat dives.

I really like the night life and hanging out in San Pedro with the locals. Driving a golf cart around and fishing on the lagoon side is also fun to do. Diving is good but does not compare to Cozumel. Cozumel wins in diving, hotel prices, food choices and ease of getting there. Isn't life great when these are the choices we are faced with.

It's my understanding from other threads that the best Belize diving is at the outer atolls, best reached by live-aboard.

Cozumel is all land-based diving. You've got a choice of the northern hotel zone, the downtown area, a bit south (e.g.: Blue Angel), the southern A.I.'s...if I have understood correctly from what others have shared. Cozumel also gets a lot of posts about the good food dining out (as opposed to only eating at an A.I.); Cozumel dining alone gets more posts than some dive destinations get on all topics.

Are you planning land-based, and if so, does this have any bearing on your choice? Live-aboard vs. land-based tends to be a different kind of experience.

What sort of animals do you mean by 'pelagics?' I saw reef sharks in Belize, and a number of decent-sized grouper. Saw a nice big black grouper in Cozumel years ago, but I've since read a thread about there being fewer big grouper, and Coz. isn't known for many shark sightings from what I hear?

Anyone with more experience between the 2 care to comment on pelagic comparisons?

I enjoyed a week aboard the Sun Dancer 2 (now Belize Aggressor IV); my 2 Cozumel dives were on a cruise ship stop, so take that for what it's worth.

Richard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom