Fin Schizophrenia: Different fins on different feet?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bubblesong

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Ok, so here is a problem for which I am seeking ideas: An acquaintance has injuries that he is working on strengthening, but they are different on each leg. On one leg, he can kick from the hips, but his ankles are not flexible, but he can get power from a paddle fin. On the other leg, he can't kick strongly from the hip and would prefer the spit fin, but he does have ankle flexibility. What would be the recommended adjustments, or design that would give both fins equal moving power, or even compensating power, so he does not just go swimming in circles? Ideas?

Borrow several styles and experiment. Only way you're going to solve that dilemma.

My Atomic splits are rather stiff so it’s even possible to frog kick in them. Nice fins for my bum knees. Try to borrow a pair to try.

A few hints from diving with people with asymmetrical body issues but without medical training in this field.

No problem modifying or mismatched fins. Use what's comfortable. My dear friend dives with one fin.

In the open water, propulsion is pretty minimal.

My caution is not everything that feels good is automatically good for joints. I try to encourage rehab for problem areas and giving them time to adjust to fins. It's a new exercise. Something that would hurt badly if done 50 minutes the first try, can be built up to gradually with shorter sessions. Ideally fins match as to not put odd stresses on the body. But don't need to.

Best advice is grab a dozen fins and a few sessions in shallow water with a patient buddy to swap out fins till some combination feels good.

Once he suspects they are a good "match" put a dozen hours on them building the structural support needed and memorizing motion needed.

Regards,
Cameron
(Was nearly wheelchair bound 15 years ago from leg issues, done significant life rearranging to keep doing what I love and it's barely noticeable now)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom