Dry suit for mild temps?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kommisarrex

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Last couple of years I’ve been lucky to dive primarily in the 26c-28c temp range and have been happy with my pinnacle cruiser 3mm. Recently, I did a week in the 20c-22c range and ended up renting a 5mm wetsuit and wearing a sharkskin hooded vest (that I thought was going to be sufficient with my 3mm). I still ended up getting a touch chilly around the 50 minute mark. Having only dived a 3mm or skin for a long time, the 5mm with the hooded vest felt like the Michelin man. And boo to extra lead!

I plan to do more diving in this temp range (20c-22c) and I’m torn on thermal options. I don’t really want to spend more than $400 or so, but I was wondering if a dry suit would make sense. I have never used one and I’m hesitant about maintenance and worry about a blown gasket or hole costing me the dive day (or week).

I also really want to maintain the freedom and flexibility of the 3mm, but need some warmth.

maybe a 2 piece free diving suit? A semi-dry?

When it gets below 24C here I'm in a Drysuit (depending on air temps)

You'll need much more lead, trust me. In a 3mm I'm at 2kg max (on a steel tank) in my Drysuit closer to 12kg And of course you have to learn how to dive again regarding buoyancy etc

I recently replaced my ageing 3mm and my worn out Sharkskin long sleeve top which was no longer warm because it had stretched having done 400 dives or so

My Bare is a lovely 3mm with a nice fleecy interior and to supplement it I have a hooded vest. last week I was in 22C water and only just felt a little cool at the end. I also have a 1mm sleeveless shorty which I'll use under my 3mm if say I'm teaching in shallow water all day and the hooded vest is a pain.

All that said I'm re investing in some sharkskin for when the water here is too warm for a 3mm (+30c) as I like some protection both underwater and from the sun on the surface

A drysuit may be overkill unless you need the redundant buoyancy. They aren’t very difficult to learn to dive if you get an instructor who knows their stuff.

The biggest bonus for me in 22-26C water is that I don’t get chilled by the boat ride back. I also wear just a base layer so the weight requirements are less.

With a DS, warmth=lead. The thicker the underlayers the more air so more weight.

You can use a drysuit in every water temp by changing the undergarment, from polar sea to hot Caribbean sea. The only issue in the warm climate isn't in the water, it's outside: if you cannot dress up right before the dive, in the summer, you gonna have serious issues with sweating and dehydration, to the point that it could ruin your dive or worse. The other issue is about the additional weight you gonna use with a drysuit. So why using it in the summer? Well, in certain areas and for certain dives, you have no options due to the thermocline: where you have 24°C at the top, you may find 15° right after 30 meters, and that isn't pleasant in a 3mm suit.

20-22C (68-72F) is exactly the temperature range in the Florida springs, where almost all the cave divers use drysuits. For a dive of an hour or more, an undersuit of 190-250g/m2 is probably the most popular choice. For a shorter dive, I could get away with just a fleece baselayer or sweats.

I'm currently in the market for a drysuit, even though the wife isn't happy at the idea of another scuba purchase. Not sure if you meant $400USD, but that may be a limiting factor for you. I've found some used ones in that price range but they were mostly in bad shape that needed new neck and wrist seals

A powered wetsuit heater is an option; I used one of these for heat on demand during a long 2 hour decompression profile under a 0.5mm skinsuit and 3mm hooded vest in 27°C water:

For me personally it would depend in the air temperate and duration of the dives but 20c (68f) is borderline drysuit for me. 20c is brutal if I cant warm up on the surface. I would not find a 5mm sufficient if I were doing longer dives.

Others mentioned this but 20-22c is primarily the temperature of the Florida springs and it's where I would be in a drysuit but I'm also typically doing dives longer than 90 minutes.

In North Carolina at the beginning of the season it's also 20-22c (68-72f) but I wear a full 7mm wetsuit there. I'm not doing dives longer than 60-70 minutes usually and I can warm up reasonably well on the surface..

I know you said you felt like a Michelin man in a 5mm but depending on the age of the suit they do stretch after a while. You do get used to them too.

So my answer is..it depends..

I would stick to wetsuit as long as you can. I dive my drysuit only when it’s under 5 degrees C (42 F) or diving with the team. Recreational I prefer wetsuit and dive a 7mm and the Michelin man thing you get used to. I’d rather that than risk a blown seal and not be able to dive. Even with zip seals it’s still more time and money.

20-22C (68-72F) is exactly the temperature range in the Florida springs, where almost all the cave divers use drysuits. For a dive of an hour or more, an undersuit of 190-250g/m2 is probably the most popular choice. For a shorter dive, I could get away with just a fleece baselayer or sweats.
I have a quick question for you. Are you wearing a neo or trilam in the scenario you mentioned?
I'm just try to sort out my own needs as I recently bought a DUI trilam. I have the really cold water undergarments sorted out but sometimes dive in warm 60-70F waters. Usually for about an hour.
My cold tolerance is generally pretty good.
Thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom