Dry suit for mild temps?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Drysuits are the easiest thing to put on.. they are like normal clothes (I use trilaminate) ... I'm not sure where it comes the story that they are harder to get on? Maybe for very skinny people, they are comfortable to slip into that sticky neoprene... but i'm always pissed of when I have to wear even a 5mm.

But for having to squeeze my head and hands through latex seals, always fearful of tearing one, I might agree. I lube them up to aid the process. For me, it's a toss up whether a drysuit or wetsuit is more annoying to don/doff.

Carry spare seals and either use DUI ZipSeals or SiTech Quick Cuffs and never worry about blowing a seal again. Makes drysuit diving stress free.

A drysuit with silicone wrist and neck seals is hands down easier to don/doff than any wetsuit thicker than 3 mm.
I have a Santi with Santi's own wrist ring system and a SiTech quickneck. Can recommend both. If I was now buying a drysuit for temperate climate, I would look at Waterproofs breathable D9, D9X and EX2 suits.
EX2 has silicone seals with ring systems included, along with (prehaps too many) other bells and whistles.

A drysuit with silicone wrist and neck seals is hands down easier to don/doff than any wetsuit thicker than 3 mm.
I have a Santi with Santi's own wrist ring system and a SiTech quickneck. Can recommend both. If I was now buying a drysuit for temperate climate, I would look at Waterproofs breathable D9, D9X and EX2 suits.
EX2 has silicone seals with ring systems included, along with (prehaps too many) other bells and whistles.
Last I heard you can never have too many bells and whistles. in fact scuba rule 305 states. When possible add a bell or whistle, if bells and whistles cannot be had baubles and trinkets will suffice as long as they are shiny , emit sound/light

But for having to squeeze my head and hands through latex seals, always fearful of tearing one, I might agree. I lube them up to aid the process. For me, it's a toss up whether a drysuit or wetsuit is more annoying to don/doff.

I own a Santi with silicone seals and my head and hands slips in with no effort at all, much much more easily than any neoprene suit (especially if it's a neoprene with "aquastops") and I don't use any talc or such, if not when I store it.
The only think that I find easier to wear could be a 3mm short eventually... but 5mm is harder.. and a 6.5/7mm is no-go for me. A drysuit has a lot of cons... but don/doff isn't one of them IMO.

Carry spare seals and either use DUI ZipSeals or SiTech Quick Cuffs and never worry about blowing a seal again. Makes drysuit diving stress free.

From what I understand, only wrist seals are replaceable--neck seals can't be replaced in the field?

From what I understand, only wrist seals are replaceable--neck seals can't be replaced in the field?

Yes they can. Takes about 15 minutes (less if you do it every day, but you do not for obvious reasons).

ORUST is Sitecs latest version, but previous Quickneck is pretty much the same.

I'll disagree with this big time. My Bare Evoke wetsuits, even the 5mm & 7mm, are a lot easier to get into than my drysuit (which is too big for me now thats I've shrunk enough). Drysuit has the SiTech wrist and quick neck silicone seals.

I'm the OP. I went with a 5mm Probe iDry wetsuit. Supposed to be warm and dry super fast. Certainly much cheaper than a drysuit. Thanks everyone for your feedback.

Back
Top Bottom