Unacceptable Instructor Behaviors...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Most agencies disallow instructors from carrying cameras, lest they lose focus on their students' safety. I agree with that. A friend or a DM can do this, but they aren't always a part of the class.
Totally agree about the instructor not using a camera.

I was recently, last Thursday, in mentoring an experience diver getting familiar with the new kit they had bought.

Within 2 minutes I realised I needed to give the individual my full attention, so clipped by camera off. We then spent 15 minutes going through buoyancy drills.

In a club environment most learning is done outside formal lessons. In an instant I went from being a dive buddy to instructor. It didn't mater the student was an assistant instructor, they still needed guidance.

Ok, that's understandable and also true of many retail environments. Pressure from the monopolizing companies puts pressure on small business owners to promote their products ahead of the competition, and pretty much encourages the small business owners to be unethical because their very livelihood depends on selling a high volume of that product. Still doesn't make it right for a shop owner to be dishonest about whichever brand they're promoting, although it's easy to see why they might.

To say it "pretty much encourage the small business owners to be unethical..." isn't accurate, rather is quite cliche and naive. While boulderjohn points out a significant issue (especially when it comes to tech), it doesn't mean the small business owner is going or encouraged to be corrupt or unfair. Granted there are people who are dishonest, they will be regardless if it is a small, midsize or large business. I do agree with you that a shop owner should not be dishonest whichever brand he/she is offering.

A couple years ago, I bought a new bicycle. I went to several shops, each of which recommended a brand they sold. Not one of them told me that I should go to a different shop because the other shop sold better bikes. Not one of them. I was not surprised.

A couple years ago, I bought a new bicycle. I went to several shops, each of which recommended a brand they sold. Not one of them told me that I should go to a different shop because the other shop sold better bikes. Not one of them. I was not surprised.

Out of curiosity, why would you expect them to do so? Should a person expect this?

Out of curiosity, why would you expect them to do so? Should a person expect this?
I was being ironic. Of course I did not expect it. I was just giving an example of the fact that in every business, stores carry only certain brands, and they try to sell you the brands they carry rather than a brand someone else carries. Why would scuba be any different?

If they sell it, sure, why not? Selling gear is not a crime. Making money is not a crime. Neither is unethical. I'm not sure why this offends anyone.

All of that is true. The questionable aspect is how these messages are telegraphed to students, who likely have unusually high regard for their instructor's integrity. I take issue with practices like:
  • Only using a brand or brands and types of equipment mandated by the employer without full disclosure.
  • Stating, or even implying, that their gear is the best/safest/smartest gear available. Besides, that isn't too smart especially since they might be seen the next weekend with different gear teaching for a different shop.
  • It is one thing to help make an expensive item an "object of desire". It is quite another to imply that the most expensive item is many times safer. Fortunately, very few dive shops sell Rolex Sea Dwellers.
  • Receiving additional compensation as a commission or bonus for equipment purchased by students without full disclosure.
  • Above all, telling their students to NEVER look at ScubaBoard is completely inexcusable. :D

Here is a subtle trick that was taught in that workshop I attended. The guy said do not use the standard names for scuba equipment. I can't remember what he said to call everything, but it was along the lines of referring to a regulator as an "air delivery system"--never call it a regulator. He said that the reason was that the odds are that a potential diver's first experience is in your shop, and they will accept your terminology as the way it is. If they then decide to shop around, when they ask questions using the terminology they learned from you and the other people do not know what they are talking about, it will suggest to the new customer that the second shop does not know much about diving.

Last edited:
Something to add. The whole post was based on a premise that "I don't want to out a bad instructor". Bullsh!t. Angie's list exists to out bad contractors, as do many State sponsored websites, at least in Florida. The BBB exists to out bad businesses. And to make oodles of profit, but whatever. Yelp and Tripadvisor exist to out hotels with bedbugs, restaurants with roaches, and tours that suck.

There is a clear and present need to out bad instructors. There always has been, but (IMO) part of the ditch that the scuba industry is in is the emphasis within the industry to make every diver an instructor. I can definitely see a need for a "Pete's List" hosted by ScubaBoard to rate instructors, training agencies, and boats.

@Wookie :
I think I concur, - and somehow now I am thinking :wink::
If only all shop owners told their instructors:
"You better be an excellent instructor or "the Wookie" will get you",
we wouldn't be having this fast growing thread... :wink:

Here is a subtle trick that was taught in that workshop I attended. The guy said not use the standard names for scuba equipment. I can't remember what he said to call everything, but it was along the lines of referring to a regulator as an "air delivery system"--never call it a regulator.
I don't know whether to laugh out loud or punch my desk out of anger. That's dastardly

Air delivery system, safe second, I can’t remember them all

Back
Top Bottom