Losing your weight belt--Let us count the ways.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Never lost a belt in 56 years, but I rarely used cam buckles. I started with a wire buckle held closed by the edge of a weight.

upload_2018-7-15_19-21-32.png

Then I switched to a commercial diver's buckle; basically conveyor belting with holes held by a pin. I use a freediver's buckle on a rubber belt most of the time now.

upload_2018-7-15_19-23-42.png

Last edited:
For all the crap integrated weight BCDs get, the ability to spread the weight over two to four separate pockets is definitely a safety benefit.

I had one of the first weight integrated BC's. I can't remember the brand, but it was a tech diving wannabe rig with velcro weight pockets and a lot of d-rings. It was cool as you could get in 1998. I was down off La Jolla cove near San Diego and I started slowly floating up. What the heck? I dumped all air from the BC and was having to slowly kick downwards. Then it was getting worse. I was grabbing rocks to try and stop the assent. I drifted upwards and ended up in an out of control assent. I remembered my training and arched my back and spread my arms and legs out to slow the rate. Regardless I rocketed to the surface as i was exhaling the entire way up. Popped up on the surface with a bloody nose. Both weight pouches were gone. They later recalled the design, but I just cut off the pockets and used a weight belt from then on. Now I dive a backplate and wing and don't need a weight belt unless I'm using a 5 or 7mm wetsuit.

Back
Top Bottom