First Reg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maas

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
New diver looking to buy my first reg, I typically like to buy good quality equipment that hopefully will last a long time. Price is not much of an issue, what I'm looking at is Atomic ST1 , Scuba Pro Mark 25 EVO /S260ti and my local shop has suggested the Aqualung Legend LX Supreme, I have local shops that can service any of these. I'm up in Canada so some cold diving will happen as well as travelling and using it all over the world

Any thoughts on these and any other good quality regs that I should look at?

Thank you for the help

I dive Atomics but suggest you consider either of the other two for cold use since Atomics require sealing with silicone grease to perform at their best in cold water. Adds $30-40 in my area to the service cost each time.

EVO is SP's designation for cold water use and the Legend being a diaphragm has some inherent advantages in the cold since the moving parts are behind it.

I don't think you could go wrong with any of them though - b4 I bought my first Atomics I looked at a Mk25/S600 but liked the Atomic better. Plus at the time the service interval was better by a year.

One thing I like about the Atomics is the seat saver orifice as it takes the pressure off the seat during non-use.

One thing I don't like about the Atomics is the seat sver orifice because you have to keep the hose high to keep water from leaking thru it into the 1st stage when rinsing. I just drape mine over the sink faucet while soaking.

I've only seen Legends in a showcase.
Some like the Glacia have special cold water features. (like a lipguard)

I have a T2 but if I did it again I'd likely s buy an ST1 instead. Same basic corroosion resistance at a lower ost. Atomic claims all their regs breathe the same - I've owned a B1, Z1 and T2 and can't tell the difference. In fact my Z1 is my current T2 octo so I use it sometimes on a dive instead.

If you plan to get an octo/inflator - the SS1 breathes like their other stages but needs a larger proprietary hose to work.
My buddy has one.It also comes in Ti for more money.

I have the AquaLung Legend LX Supreme. I’ve had it down to 43F in the Great Lakes with no issues. Breathes just lovely. It’s spoiled me for other regs aside from my Apex XTX50 I use for sidemount.

That lip guard is very nice for cold water. Mine have it.

Go cutting edge...go deep six.

I would also take a look at the Apeks XTX 50 or ATX 40.

All good choices. Hard to go wrong with them. Good advice above.

I have the legend lx and absolutely love it. Coldest I’ve had it was 37f and no issues what so ever. It’s probably had a lot tougher life than most would give it but still breathes just as well as the day I bought it.

The Atomic ST1 is sealed and will dive any environment you are willing to face.

All are good choices. Since you mention cold water, i would suggest AL legend. It’s inherent designs will perform better in cold. Of course, it will depend how cold is cold in your definition.

Atomic’s answer to very cold environment is packing the ambient chamber with cristoluube. It is a expansive and/or messy process. And even that, it will not out perform seal diaphragm if it gets cold enough.

As someone who has quite a few atomic, I would say don’t spend money on ST1. Over B2, it is mostly for the looks of the stainless steel. There is no practical advantage for the more expansive metal.

New diver looking to buy my first reg, ...//... Price is not much of an issue, ...//... I'm up in Canada so some cold diving will happen as well as travelling and using it all over the world

Any thoughts on these and any other good quality regs that I should look at? ...
All fine. You will be getting personal preferences as opposed to will/won't work for your intended application.

Consider used vintage junk? MK17 G250?

Is weight an issue for travel? Is your shop pressuring you to buy new and from their offerings? Are you looking for a 'status' set of regs or a set that just keeps on ticking? No judgment, now is the time to get it right for yourself.

Back
Top Bottom