Vacationing in August

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Which hotel are you staying at? Now that I have to travel for my diving, I'm always looking for cheap but clean hotels

Travelodge in Florida City. It's 30-45 min drive from most the dive shops in Key Largo (which I plan to give myself an hour in case of traffic). I went on "booking.com" which I've never done before. I went through all the cheaper places to stay and would search in google maps. There were a few that were cheaper, but Travelodge had a ton (over 350) of great reviews and they kept saying how clean it was. I reserved the room with the option to back out all the way up to 2 days before the check in date.

I've never stayed here before, so take all that with a grain of salt. We're staying on weekday's. I'm sure if I did it for a weekend prices would be slightly higher.

Appreciate all who responded. I tentatively booked in Homestead for $65 / night after taxes and all. I could always change it up, but that's good for now.

I have a question about diving the blue heron bridge. Because of the way the tides work and all is it only worth it to rent 1 tank to go diving there? Just trying to be prepared. From what I read it seems like you get about an hour or so and that's it?
On AL80 will be more than enough unless you're a real air hog. I've done over 1.5 hours on a AL80.

just a note to you...Florida city to Blue Heron Bridge is quite a distance.....got to be at least two hour drive...

just a note to you...Florida city to Blue Heron Bridge is quite a distance.....got to be at least two hour drive...

I appreciate the heads up. It'll be a hike down from Melbourne to Key Largo (I think 4 hours?). Coming back I plan to stop in BHB which should help breakup the monotony of driving for at least part of the day.

I mean, for me it's relative. Living in Maryland puts me over 1000 miles away from the keys and clear water (don't get me wrong, love the quarries). I'm grateful to be afforded the opportunity to make the hike.

great / sounds like a plan....

Good day to all. Really gearing up for this Fl trip (it's a month away and I already have stuff scattered throughout the living / dining rooms:)), and I figured it wouldn't do any good to start another thread since I was so helped in this one.

Few questions that I can't find the answer to;

It'll be August, what thickness wetsuit should we bring? I can take a little chill, my wife probably not so much. I've read anything from rash guard to 3mm, but nothing pertains to August in FL, which I know is HOT.

I'm thinking we'll use Rainbow Reef as it's our first ocean dives and she would be a lot more comfortable with other people around as opposed to just us (kind of like that "if I stay in the middle of the pack the shark won't get me" mentality). This is just her fear of open water, hopefully it'll go away, lol. If we did dive that way, do you have to stay with the DM? I've read that they take you on a little "tour", if you see something interesting can you leave the tour? Or maybe they do that stuff and give you some time at the end to do what you want? Just curious

Good day to all. Really gearing up for this Fl trip (it's a month away and I already have stuff scattered throughout the living / dining rooms:)), and I figured it wouldn't do any good to start another thread since I was so helped in this one.

Few questions that I can't find the answer to;

It'll be August, what thickness wetsuit should we bring? I can take a little chill, my wife probably not so much. I've read anything from rash guard to 3mm, but nothing pertains to August in FL, which I know is HOT.

I'm thinking we'll use Rainbow Reef as it's our first ocean dives and she would be a lot more comfortable with other people around as opposed to just us (kind of like that "if I stay in the middle of the pack the shark won't get me" mentality). This is just her fear of open water, hopefully it'll go away, lol. If we did dive that way, do you have to stay with the DM? I've read that they take you on a little "tour", if you see something interesting can you leave the tour? Or maybe they do that stuff and give you some time at the end to do what you want? Just curious
Florida in August? 3mm max. Skinsuit if you don’t. You do want a full suit, fire coral is extensive.

Rainbow is a cattle boat. Look at some of the smaller operations. You’ll get to see the less hard hit areas. Cattle boats like rainbow only go to 5-10 dive spots.

Florida in August? 3mm max. Skinsuit if you don’t. You do want a full suit, fire coral is extensive.

Rainbow is a cattle boat. Look at some of the smaller operations. You’ll get to see the less hard hit areas. Cattle boats like rainbow only go to 5-10 dive spots.

Would we be too hot in 3mm? I'm really looking to just buy a cheap suit on Ebay / Amazon, something we could use in warm water.

I'm not 100% sold on Rainbow Reef, but I do know she would be more comfortable with at least some other people in the water. I've got a list throughout this thread of recommendations, but what about the experience with the DM's, how "strict" are they?

If you plan to leave the group make sure the DM knows it b4 you splash. Arrange signals you both understand - the opposite of pair up (sorry don't know what it is) and where's the boat? might be good to know. As far as leaving the group - I do it all the time since I film. Never dove with RR though.

If you plan to leave the group make sure the DM knows it b4 you splash. Arrange signals you both understand - the opposite of pair up (sorry don't know what it is) and where's the boat? might be good to know. As far as leaving the group - I do it all the time since I film. Never dove with RR though.

Good to know, thank you. Can I ask who you normally dive with and why?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom