Vacationing in August

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just spent a good bit going back and forth over abnb. Turns out after all the charges / taxes / etc. it's almost $130 / night to sleep on a small boat with no running water, and $150 / night to sleep on a slightly larger boat w/running water!:confused:

I think I'll take everyone's suggestion and stick w/Florida City:cool:

Be aware Florida's lobster season will just be opening and there will be a lot of traffic and crowds slowly thinning towards September.Any trip to the Keys without seeing Looe Key is only half as good as it could have been.

Be aware Florida's lobster season will just be opening and there will be a lot of traffic and crowds slowly thinning towards September.Any trip to the Keys without seeing Looe Key is only half as good as it could have been.

That might be true for people that have been to the keys a few times. This would be our first time, so diving anywhere down there will be new / exciting. Not to mention a place to stay is easily cut in half if inland a little. I can stay 2 nights in Florida City for a good bit less than 1 night down on the Keys. (25-30 min ride to dive shop in the morning if in Key Largo). We're not retired or made of money. I know diving isn't a cheap hobby, but that doesn't mean I can't budget:)

Would love to come down the Keys farther one day. We'll get there, just not this go round.

Last edited:
Have you tried Big Bamboo it is located at Dream Bay in Key Largo . I am not sure of the rates but
I know Abby has 2 house boats and there is a bath house with running water . Lobster season opens
at the beginning of August . Good luck and Happy diving !
Sea Dwellers

I've stayed in Smugglers Cove on Islamorada in the past. It was pretty cheap and was fairly clean (in late Sept)..... Its nicer than many Keys hotels but isn't a resort! It might be as cheap as Florida City depending on the exact days you're going to stay.

Appreciate all who responded. I tentatively booked in Homestead for $65 / night after taxes and all. I could always change it up, but that's good for now.

I have a question about diving the blue heron bridge. Because of the way the tides work and all is it only worth it to rent 1 tank to go diving there? Just trying to be prepared. From what I read it seems like you get about an hour or so and that's it?

Anybody care to comment about my post above? I've done a good bit of searching, just can't figure out what kind of time you get to dive the bridge?

Unless you are an air hog, 1 tank will be plenty at BHB.

You got a good deal on the hotel!

Thanks! Just didn't know what to expect and would hate to be able to do 2 dives and only be prepared for 1.

Hotel was booked through some online service. Took me a while to find, but place looks clean, has great reviews.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom