Instructor bent after running out of air at 40m

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One of the scientists on a Coral Cay expedition did research on the effects of narcosis on survey result accuracy. Their conclusion was narcosis starts to impede the decision process from 15m.
^^^^ Quantifiable data. Awesome stuff. The curve of the the effect would be interesting to see.

This turn in the thread is a little concerning to me. I've only been diving about 4 years with 150 dives and I've never felt any discernible symptoms of narcosis. Probably 20% of my dives have been between 90-110 feet and I did the Blue Hole dive to 135 feet. I haven't had to do any significant task loading at depth but I'm always monitoring my computer/spg and frequently changing the settings on my camera with no discernible slowing/issues.

If you don't feel anything, what can you do to prevent it being a problem?

At least be aware that you're probably as intellectually advanced as your average dairy cow when you pass 20m.

This turn in the thread is a little concerning to me. I've only been diving about 4 years with 150 dives and I've never felt any discernible symptoms of narcosis. Probably 20% of my dives have been between 90-110 feet and I did the Blue Hole dive to 135 feet. I haven't had to do any significant task loading at depth but I'm always monitoring my computer/spg and frequently changing the settings on my camera with no discernible slowing/issues.

Mitigate potential errors. So assume you will make a mistake and be sure that will not kill you. Your buddy is the main mitigation, enough gas, so not a marginal plan, or just proper gas and the training that goes with it.

So, diving to 40m up against the NDL with an Ali 80 and an iffy buddy isn’t doing much to cover the case where something goes wrong.

People are obsessed with redundancy of equipment, but really equipment failures are rare. Brain failure is much more common, so taking a redundant brain is the best plan.

Me too. I was certified 5 years ago by NAUI.

I thought the only agency who had a shallower recreational limit was GUE, who wanted their divers on helium for dives greater than 100 feet. Maybe I'm wrong.
I believe the RAID guys issue cards with specific depth limits less than the generally accepted OW depth of 130ft.

A couple of people here had referenced the BSAC reports -- out of curiosity, I looked at the 2017 report. If I read that correctly, it stated that 41% of decompression sickness incidents recorded in 2017 took place within computer or table no-decompression limits. That's a little scary.

If a diver does not watch their air consumption and gets low on air while still within NDL and then shoots up they are within that 41%. If a diver panics while within NDL and shoots up to the surface, they are still in that 41%,

What is of more interest is how many of that 41% also did a slow safe ascent and a safety stop.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom