Safety Sausage what color is recommended yellow or orange

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have asked this same question to myself and others a number of times and what I finally decided was orange since it is what I would be able to see better. If I can see it better than other people probably could as well.

(Of course all this really means in Saniflush world is that if I am adrift on the surface I will be blessed with the only entirely orange colorblind crew in the history of diving.)

You get the best of both worlds.
I understand why you would think that but in reality, you’re confusing the boats because normally yellow is for emergencies and orange for normal

I understand why you would think that but in reality, you’re confusing the boats because normally yellow is for emergencies and orange for normal

Actually, as I pointed out way up-thread (reply #4), there is no worldwide standard. A number of years ago, while diving off Florida (Palm Beach area drift dive) I saw a DM using what looked like an old-fashioned barber pole/candy cane pattern SMB along with a smallish (red-white) "diver down" flag attached to the top.

OTOH, if you get one that's red on one side and yellow on the other, it "averages out" to be orange....

There is no worldwide standard... but the only region where there is a standard has it as orange for normal use and yellow for emergencies. I like that. It makes sense. So my recommendation is to do that. I do too. Besides, if I am boating along and I see a orange pole sticking up in the water I'm going to take a close look, because orange is an "emergency" color at sea. I notice a pink one, well, the main reason I'd be taking a close look is to figure out what the heck it is.

Reflecting panels are very good to have on the smb regardless of color.

I agree, and it’s why I carry both orange and yellow.

Newly certified diver here. Why would you want/need to deploy this at depth, other than to use as a lift buoy?

Newly certified diver here. Why would you want/need to deploy this at depth, other than to use as a lift buoy?
So as to have a reference for the ascent and so the skipper can more easily know where the divers are.

Particularly in poor vis it is easier to manage an ascent with a visual reference. The line provides that. You wind the line in and may let the reel or spool hang or even use it for support (but would loose points for style on SB).

Where divers are diving as independent buddy pairs (the way they are supposedly trained to dive) rather than a loose association following a guide they will become spread out. DSMBs allow the skipper to know where ther divers are. This is particularly important for deco dives where the skipper may wait a long time for divers to surface.

Another reason is boat traffic, you never want to surface away from a buoy so boats can avoid you.

Edit: I always have a DSMB, usually two.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom