Safety Sausage what color is recommended yellow or orange

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I always found the orange easier to see, and if a yellow one comes up, well, I'm already looking at the orange one, so I know that the diver needs oxygen or something. But whatever else they need, Oxygen is never wrong.

I would choose orange. It's spotted easily and is considered a normal marker buoy color.

Frank, did divers at NOAA fire first an orange then a yellow? In England it was one or the other.

Frank, did divers at NOAA fire first an orange then a yellow? In England it was one or the other.
Orange marks the diver who is away from where they were dropped. Yellow denotes the diver who needs assistance. I wish that were standard in North America like it is in Europe.

Got it. That's what I teach students. Orange is general purpose. Yellow means you need help. You'll have to discuss that with the captain if you want to use color as a status designator.

@Melanie White, I'll make it super easy for you. Buy two of these in orange. Orange, IMO, is easier to see if the SMB is in the yellow reflection of the sun off the water.You can oral inflate or inflate with an inflator or inflate with a second stage. They have a OPV (over pressure valve) so it can be used at depth. The baffle system is superb at holding air, and the price is unbeatable. Tell Randy I said hi.

Hog! 6ft Orange SMB w/ Reflective Tape , Piranha Dive Shop |

@Melanie White, I'll make it super easy for you. Buy two of these in orange. Orange, IMO, is easier to see if the SMB is in the yellow reflection of the sun off the water.You can oral inflate or inflate with an inflator or inflate with a second stage. They have a OPV (over pressure valve) so it can be used at depth. The baffle system is superb at holding air, and the price is unbeatable. Tell Randy I said hi.

For less money, this is the one I bought (same store):

New! 6ft Orange SMB

Excellent choice for a newer diver who does not intend to use as a DSMB.

Looks like a good deal. Compare features with the DAN SMB at $60.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom