Any equipment buying regrets ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1970s I bought one of the first aluminum tanks made by US Divers
Total crap. Buoyancy changed so much during Dive. Plus tank band had electrolysis like crazy. I was a working Dive kid and really wasted some hard earned money.

I once bought a neoprene drysuit, i made 10 dives with it and then bought a trilaminate.

That's interesting, I once received a neoprene drysuit as a gift. Done many more than 10 dives with it. A free drysuit is a pretty good thing to get, even if neoprene, plus it has one advantage over a trilaminate. If it floods, it turns into a wetsuit. Downside, of course, is its positive buoyancy and the need to use massive amounts of lead to overcome the buoyancy. Would I buy a neoprene drysuit? Probably not, but I have certainly gotten my money's worth out of this freebie.

I bought integrated weights for my BPW harness when I got it, lost some body-weight and now there's not enough waist strap to even use them - I think I prefer the belt anyway

I got a really good deal (73% off) on a Zeagle Razor 6ft. I mildly wish I would have passed and just bought a AL40 with yoke and put one of my extra reg sets on it. At some point I may well end up with an AL30 or AL40 and an envoy razor stuck in it. Not a hard regret, but a bit of buyers remorse.

Do you have any equipment buying regrets ? What equipment did you buy and realized afterwards you had made a mistake ? Why was it a mistake ?
I guess buying things that I really did not need when I first started, like etchasketch slate, very small smb are a couple. I have also bought a back up mask holder that I think is a waste, just keep it clipped off in my pocket no holder.
One thing I will say is that a new diver if you stay at it for years you will change gear set ups typically and may have some buyers remorse but you cant know what you like or what works or even what you truly need with out trying it first so I just consider that growing pains of the life of a diver.
I do regret sellilng some of my recreational style gear like my edge bcd back inflate and some regulators as now that I am an instructor I could use in the pool and for demo when I teach OW in the pool.

That's interesting, I once received a neoprene drysuit as a gift. Done many more than 10 dives with it. A free drysuit is a pretty good thing to get, even if neoprene, plus it has one advantage over a trilaminate. If it floods, it turns into a wetsuit. Downside, of course, is its positive buoyancy and the need to use massive amounts of lead to overcome the buoyancy. Would I buy a neoprene drysuit? Probably not, but I have certainly gotten my money's worth out of this freebie.

For me a neoprene drysuit got everything i don't like about a wetsuit. It still fits pretty tight, it sucks to put on. And the buoyancy changes upon the depth changing.
I always dive in a trilaminate drysuit, also when i go somewhere with warm water like Egypt or Mexico.

It's very personal, i know people who are really happy with a neoprene drysuit. Also when i go to Mexico/Egypt i see most people diving a wetsuit.
But for me a trilaminate drysuit is the way to go :p

Cheap SMB and Reel I bought at a Dive Shop in Khao Lak. I bought a useless Mares SMB after that until I bought an Apeks Reel with Best Divers SMB, now I don't dive without this setup.

Apeks Tech Shorts. They're expensive and designed to fit well with a back support, velcro tabs, clip buckles and large deep pockets. Don't buy them. In less than a year, the flimsy material use for the pockets are thinning out and holes are emerging. The neoprene parts are fine. It's the material that they use for the pockets that's deteriorating on every salt water dive. Others with the same product are also having issues. Let me know if you want to see pictures.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom