Any equipment buying regrets ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is that the heavy, stiff webbing that stands up and makes harness easy to don/doff, or the flexible webbing that is easier to thread through the backplate slots?

It's definitely on the stiff side. I like it because, once I get my harness setup right for me, I don't want it to move (i.e. pull through the slots at all) by accident.

It's definitely on the stiff side. I like it because, once I get my harness setup right for me, I don't want it to move (i.e. pull through the slots at all) by accident.

I wish I could tell them apart online somehow--I have some that is super-stiff and some other stuff that is just right and I can even sew it with my $20 thrift-store sewing machine. The super-stiff stuff bends the needle. :(

I don’t know that any of my bad purchases were really “bad”. I would have been denied the learning experience of knowing first hand why they were bad and how to correct it.
I bought a big expensive tech wannabee BC when I started out, a Seaquest Black Diamond. It was a huge back inflate that was bulky, too big and bulky for single tanks and not really usable for doubles even though they said it was. I sold that and got an OMS BP/W with a STA and a 35 lb doubles wing. There were no single tank wings available then. I liked the BP/W better, but ended up ultimately designing and making my own plate because I ended up not liking the doubles plate for single tank diving.
I wouldn’t have known any of this if I didn’t progress through these prior purchases, so it costed money hut was necessary to learn from.
My first reg was a Scubapro MK20/G200b. The only regret I have is that I didn’t spend the extra $75 and get it with a G250.
And then there was the air2. At the time it was all the rage and everybody was buying them, but then the bungeed second came into vogue so I sold the Air2. A mistake? not at the time.
All my aluminum tank purchases were mistakes but also didn’t know at the time. Sold them all and bought used steel 72’s, way better.
Wetsuits and rubber in general has always been a challenge and a money pit. I bought a drysuit once and several years later when it needed a zipper, I was quoted $600 to replace the zipper, some special HD zipper. Tossed the drysuit and spent the money on a nice custom wetsuit instead.
It goes on and on, but it’s all part of the fun.
For all the bummer purchases, I’ve had just as many great scores, so it all evens out.
It’s not a cheap sport.

My husband regrets the noise maker I got before our last trip.

I tend to be better at finding things under water (well, and out of the water). I thought I had finally found a way to get his attention. I kept shaking it and pointing to my latest find. After one such notification he whipped around and communicated more clearly than he ever had. I could tell he was saying "WHAT NOW?!.

I don't carry it anymore :)

"Regrets. I've had a few."

The two biggest ones are a couple of dive computers. I bought a Suunto Cobra and on the first trip, by the 3rd dive of the day, it was only giving me about 20 minutes of NDL. This was not very practical. The other computer that I regret was an early wrist mount Oceanic AI computer. More often than not, the transmitter & the receiver would not be in contact and I would have to start waving my arm around trying to re-establish the connection. It reminded me of the "good old days" of trying to adjust the aluminum foil wrapped rabbit ears on the TV. I sold each of these computers after their first trip. Since the trip with the Wrist mount dive computer, I have always used a hose mount (ProPlus series). They have both pros & cons, but they never lose their connection.)

I also regret (to a much lesser extent) the last BCD that I bought. I bought a lightweight travel BCD (a back inflate, not a "poodle jacket"). The inflate button on the LPI was installed upside down & jammed into the inflate position. Until I could replace the LPI, the only way to control it was to disconnect or connect the inflator hose as required. This proved to be a relatively easy fix. I simply replaced the LPI. The BCD was, however 4 pounds positively buoyant. The first 4 pounds of lead that I had to carry were simply to offset the BCD.

I've bought a lot of equipment over the past thirty years but really only have four regrets.
Steel 95s. For the weight and size I've been much happier with 130s. My Faber 95s all rusted.

DUI TLS350. The first drysuit I bought new. I made 100 dives on it and it leaked on nearly all of them. The trilam material was from a bad batch. I could shine a light through it and see pinholes everywhere.

Mako scooter. I only used it for about a year. It was really just a toy in open water, completely unnecessary. It sat in my garage for a year before I sold it.

Dacor RIG BC. This was touted as a "tech" BC. It had way too many D-rings and the back ripped out twice from the weight of my doubles. I went back to a backplate, the way I began diving.

Its not as much of a regret per say, but when I started out early, I bought some bags that carried only the basics. fins, mask, snorkel, and a few small things like wrist computer and compass. things like that. As I got more gear in a relative short amount of time, I needed to re-buy a bag to carry more. 1st bag lasted all of a year. 2nd bag lasted all of a year. The last bag I overbought, and it should see me through till it finally wears out with more than enough space for a full set of gear.

A snorkel
I’m sure this was meant as a joke and I do agree with it, particularly with a 7 foot long hose which is what I use but in the sea with big waves I would consider it dangerous not taking a snorkel with you in a pocket. Ive heard of divers who drowned on the surface because they didn’t have a snorkel in rough conditions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom