Any equipment buying regrets ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would say the Suunto Zoop sold to me as part of my reg/spg/compass set when I got my OW cert. But..., it kept me from buying a different dive computer while I researched and researched. Then, the Perdix AI came out and I have not regretted that purchase one bit. Had I not bought the Zoop, I would have bought another AI computer and would not be as happy as I am with the Perdix. So..., no regrets. Well..., maybe the first POS dive knife, but it was too cheap to bitch about.

Stuff I bought for other people trying to lure them into diving with me. Not that I am letting that stuff go, I still hope!

Sherwood's Avid folding snorkel. Lasted about 2 years before cracking in the corrugated section.Most of that wae protected in my bag or bc pocket during dives.
Sherwood-Avid-Folding-Snorkel.jpg

Got a great deal on an Aqualung Calypso regulator set at a LDS for my wife. It was not until a few months after we purchased it that I realized the 2nd stages and LP hoses have a quick disconnect feature. The idea behind this was that at a resort or rental shop they can quickly swap out the 2nds stages without tools. For personal use, this would limit the type of replacement hose one would be able to buy/use as the hose needs to match the proprietary quick disconnect fitting.

There is an adapter marketed for this so one can use a standard LP hose but it cost about $50 in the US...fortunately we are currently living in Europe where the same adapter only cost $24 Euros....still a bit expensive for what it is but it lives in the save-a-dive kit for that potential hose emergency.

Interesting that the following model year it seems that Aqualung discontinued using the QD fitting on the Calypso in favor of the normal fitting found on most any other 2nd stage and LP hose.

-Z

Got a great deal on an Aqualung Calypso regulator set at a LDS for my wife. It was not until a few months after we purchased it that I realized the 2nd stages and LP hoses have a quick disconnect feature. The idea behind this was that at a resort or rental shop they can quickly swap out the 2nds stages without tools. For personal use, this would limit the type of replacement hose one would be able to buy/use as the hose needs to match the proprietary quick disconnect fitting.

There is an adapter marketed for this so one can use a standard LP hose but it cost about $50 in the US...fortunately we are currently living in Europe where the same adapter only cost $24 Euros....still a bit expensive for what it is but it lives in the save-a-dive kit for that potential hose emergency.

Interesting that the following model year it seems that Aqualung discontinued using the QD fitting on the Calypso in favor of the normal fitting found on most any other 2nd stage and LP hose.

-Z
My first reg setup that I got in a used package on craigslist is an Aqualung Titan. It has the QD that you mention and I hate it. Seems like a way for Aqualung to squeeze a few more bucks out of you.

My first reg setup that I got in a used package on craigslist is an Aqualung Titan. It has the QD that you mention and I hate it. Seems like a way for Aqualung to squeeze a few more bucks out of you.

Why do you hate it?

I don't find the QD to be a problem in use...its just that it makes it harder to replace the hose in a pinch such as if the hose blows out on trip to remote area or LOB. The design was made for a particular purpose that makes sense but they were selling them to the general diving public which doesn't make sense...the adapter that screws onto the end of a normal regulator hose solves the problem but it is kind of ridiculous that one should have to obtain one and they are pricey, even more so in the US....I wish there was a conversion kit for it as that would be better in my opinion than a hose adapter.

-Z

The roller bags are a double-edged sword. They make the bag considerably heavier. They also make the bag much more difficult to fit into a suitcase and they usually have some metal components that will eventually rust.

Personally, I love the mares cruise mesh deluxe.
Great point. I love that I can fold the Tusa into a compact flat panel in my Oceanic luggage top compartment. Will avoid rollers, and also check out the Mares cruise mesh. Thanks!

Why do you hate it?
Because of this part
it is kind of ridiculous that one should have to obtain one and they are pricey, even more so in the US....I wish there was a conversion kit for it as that would be better in my opinion than a hose adapter.
I understand it's purpose though and I'm sure some people love having the QD. I just have no use for a QD and don't want to shell out $50 for a proprietary hose fitting.

Back
Top Bottom