Any equipment buying regrets ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Like others have said, one of my biggest regrets was the Liquivision Xen. Like AJ, I was a very early adopter (serial under 50) and had multiple issues. It finally died to a crack in the battery compartment but they replaced it, however when the screen died I promptly tossed it and got a shearwater.

Aside from that, nothing crazy as most of my gear I've been able to resell when I outgrew it. The list includes a jacket BC, misc gadgets and other toys.

a set of hardware to make a copy of Dive Rite Ring Bungee - two sizes of quick links, large stainless steel ring, and two carabiners (I had lots of bungee already).

Dive-Rite-Nomad-Ring-Bungee.png

shortly thereafter I realized that it is a total crap and that the usual loop bungees with extra safety clips are much better.

NomadSideClip_2-loop-300x300.png

so ~$50 of useless hardware lying in the wardrobe.

also I spent about $100 more on a few different 18650/26650 battery brands from Aliexpress which in fact have 500-1000 mAh instead of 3000-4000 mAh advertized, before I decided to buy real Panasonic 3000 mAh.

but no really expensive purchases which I regret, so total losses are not more than $200.

When I was certified along with my wife and two daughters, I bought 4 sets of cheaper entry level regs. As I accumulated dives and continued to feed my gear addiction, I found a great deal on a MK25evo/S600 from a dive shop with less than 50 dives on it, serviced and to my door for about what I paid for the cheaper reg. My wife tried it....and I had to get her one too. Same shop sold me an indentical set with less than a dozen dives on it for not much more.

Someone said, buy once, cry once. The entry level regs are fine, breathe easy enough, and have been bullet proof. They make great loaner regs and I use them as backups in classes. That being said, there is a difference. The high end regs breathe much better and drier in all positions.

I don't regret buying the entry level regs...I just wish I would have upgraded sooner.

I did buy a wing with the exhaust valve mounted in the center, I prefer my other wing with the exhaust elbow on the left shoulder. Again, not really a regret, but more of a preference.

Jay

al 80 tank. should have started with steel as i only dive very warm water when traveling and using rental tanks anyway..

I bought a google based phone once,,am thinkin' maybe should try the I phone. Is this relevant??? Really though,,,I have basically used every piece of diving gear I ever bought for myself. I dive to enjoy and like other things to try!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom