Hello from the Monterey Peninsula

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PADI Cam

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi, I"m an old PADI diver, having gotten my certificat in 1983. My experience is around two years, having doved in the Kelp Beds off Cannery Row, Monterey Ca, where I got my open water diving cert; braved the massive surf at "Monastery Beach" or to us locals..."Mortuary Beach", participated in a few dives in and out of the cold waters of the Monterey Bay. I soon lost interest in Diving with more added family responsiblities.

Now as a 68 year old woman who's three sons are now grown, its me and the spouse living at home with the dog. So during the last several weeks, I've been thinking of returning back to diving, and get my PADI cert updated. Since we'll be relocating to Texas with the family, I was wondering; just what is the thickness of Wet suits that Texans wear when diving in the many rivers and lakes that surround Texas.

When I trained in the 45 degree cold waters off of Cannery Row, I was using a 5 mm neoprene long john wet suit with jacket, so what I'd like to know is just how thick does the average lake diving Texan wear on their dives?

Thanks,

howdy and welcome from southeast florida.....i don't know know anything about diving in California or Texas but i found your story very interesting and inspirational...keep looking forward.

Sorry youre leaving the Monterey/Carmel area. There is a Texas sub-forum here - you may get better answers there.

Texas

Do you know the rough area that you will be moving to? Texas is going to be a mixed bag for you, I suspect. In the summer we dive in swimsuits, a plus. But we also usually dive in reduced visibility. So you can have warm water experiences but nothing like SoCal.

5mm and a hood would significantly extend your season.

HI! We have both taken the same path...almost. I was certified in Monastery Beach and learned the "Monastery Beach Crawl", in 1985. I'm 53 and just recently returned to diving but now I'm diving in Veracruz, Mexico. I'm sure the waters in Veracruz are much warmer than in Texas. I purchased a 2mm vest that I wear with my 3mm wetsuit and this keeps me cozy in the winter months and of course, for the summer months, I ditch the vest with no changes to the weight belt.

Monterey, I miss that place.

Happy Diving!

Jimmy

Back
Top Bottom