SCUBA Open Water Cert Online?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bookmon

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
a friend has found an online instructor, using a couple of pool meets, then open water trip for certification. Being as I’ve been diving twice as long as he’s been alive, he asked me what I thought. Personally, I’m a tad Leary of such. Plus, he wants $500 for certification. Seems a bit too high to basically sit at home, drinking a beer and tapping buttons.
What do y’all have as ponderings on this subject?

If it smells like a fish......

It sounds like that $500 includes the academics and pool. PADI eLearning OW is $185, accompanying crewpack is about $60. And then there is a cost for the pool training. Group or private? I don't know online pricing for other agencies, but if similar then $500 could be a bit high unless this is a private. No idea of what the pool rental cost is contributing here either. He would have to pay you... a lot,,, to get it down to $100.

Is he still doing all 5 pool dives and the 4 open water dives needed?

In addition to the e-learning classroom style?
Good question to ask my friend. I think yes on the classes. Hmmm?? On open water.
Wow. In the early 80sit was 2 open water dives. Ditto early 90s. Times have changed

$500 seems to be the price these days once you add up all the fees.
In 2010 its was $300 for group (up to 6) and $450 for private at the dive shop I originally frequented. That's not including skin gear purchases; but was including scuba gear & wetsuit rental. This was old-fashioned classroom instruction however.

Checking some shop websites now:
Here in Charleston there's a $575 PADI cost w/ elearning and additional classroom sessions.
My hometown shops near Santa Cruz shows a $410 (PADI; elearning w/ classrooms) & $525 (NAUI elearning w/ classrooms).

If the Instructor is independent (not part of a shop), then I'd say $500 even for group is still correct; w/ no classrooms but I'm assuming 3-4 pool sessions and 2-day OW checkout dives (1 snorkel, 4 scuba; split in 2 days by agency standards).

An independent Instructor does not have the overhead that a shop covers w/ multiple instructors and classes going at the same time.

Back
Top Bottom