First Boat and Salt Water Dive: Additional Weight Question...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Assuming you are going to be wearing the same rig as you wore in fresh water, here is my guess - Your weight (320 lbs) + your rig (45 lbs) + fresh water lead (16 lbs) = 381 lbs. Multiply 381 lbs by 2.5% = 9.5 lbs. Round that up to 10 pounds and put it on a weight belt. Have fun.

By the way, my son is a 5X kind of guy. He wears a 3mm suit, uses a SS backplate and wears about 18 pounds of lead.

I might just hit the 'Easy' button for this weekend and do that. Going forward, I'll plan on getting a pair of trim weight pockets.

I went with a soft backplate. I considered the SS plate, but I opted to not do that to keep travel weight down.

Thank you.:cheers:

You should consider a weight belt with two 4 lb weights on it. Simple. You are displacing around 400 lbs of water, you will need a good bit more weight.

I wear 14 to 16 lbs in fresh water with a 3mm, I'm a little bigger than you just got back from Cozumel dove all week with 30 pounds in a swimsuit and tee shirt the rest of my gear was the same less 3mm wetsuit.

I might just hit the 'Easy' button for this weekend and do that. Going forward, I'll plan on getting a pair of trim weight pockets.

I went with a soft backplate. I considered the SS plate, but I opted to not do that to keep travel weight down.

Thank you.:cheers:
Worth bearing in mind then that the SS backplate counts towards the total weight ballast in the region of 2-3 lbs so you might be looking at 20-22lbs instead of 18.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom