New diver seeking wetsuit advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sharkbait07

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Greetings, all! As indicated in the thread title, I'm a new diver seeking wetsuit advice.

I'm looking to purchase a suit that will be sufficient for warm, tropical waters. I tend to run a bit warm-blooded, so I don't get cold very easily and am more focused on abrasion/sting protection than I am on insulation. During my certification in Thailand, I was diving in a 3mm shorty and unlike the majority of my dive buddies, I found the chilly thermoclimes to be pleasant, rather than actually cold. I'm probably more concerned about being too warm (particularly topside) than I am about being too cold. I'm 5'9 and about 190lbs, broad across the back.

I'm currently reviewing two different approaches, but very willing to entertain suggestions for other approaches.

First, I'm looking at a 3mm farmer john Henderson 3mm Thermoprene Mens Farmer John Wetsuit with the option of adding either a long or short sleeve rashguard top, or eventually adding a wetsuit jacket if I ever decide to dive in colder waters. I like the idea of a vest on the top for the freedom of motion and an easier fit, since I'll be ordering online and won't have the opportunity to try anything on before I buy. My concern here is that 3mm including pants, even with the farm john vest top, might leave me a bit too warm.

The second approach is to go with a 1.5mm Scubapro everflex full suit. Everflex 1.5 mm Dive Suit The reviews I've read say these are pretty comfortable, but I am concerned about comfort and fit and whether or not I'll have the freedom of movement I'd have in a farmer john + rashguard configuration. And of course, I don't want to be too warm.

Does anyone have any advice or suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Additional info: Since I'll be doing most if not all of my diving on vacations and liveaboards with multiple dives per day, ease of donning and removal is a big plus. What is the general opinion on shoulder velcro vs zipper on the farmer john?

Have you given any consideration to either Sharkskin or a Lavacore full suit? They'll give you the warmth and protection of a 2.5mm-3mm suit without adding any buoyancy and they're about as flexible as wearing Under Armour type garments so they don't hinder your movement at all. I actually dive a Sharkskin Cillproof Long Sleeve top under my 5mm suit in 50F lake water and do just fine. Something to consider,

Sharkskin Chill-Proof Jumpsuit

LavaCore Jumpsuit

Wow, another warm-blooded warm-water diver!

I actually pack two 3mm suits for tropical dive destinations, a shorty Mares Reef and a full Mares Reef. I find that by dive 12 or so, my core temp has dropped enough that I actually want the full coverage.

If the water is too warm for the 3mm, I just dive in compression shorts and a rashguard. Why invest in more kit?

i dive a 2mm prefer to have my arms covered legs uncovered but i also use full foot fins

Also try to buy from amazon where you can send it back or somewhere with a fitment gaurantee
upload_2019-2-12_12-18-29.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-2-12_12-17-34.png
    upload_2019-2-12_12-17-34.png
    104.9 KB · Views: 52
After checking out the advice given here (thanks!), I found this:

Lavacore Sleeveless Fullsuit Male

It seems like it would be pretty ideal for me in warm water, with a rashguard top, or maybe even a short jacket, if I happen to start getting cold.

Additionally, Lavacore and Pinnacle seem to be just about the only two companies which offer a size that corresponds to my measurements in all areas. A 44" chest, 34" waist and 190lbs at 5'9 is apparently not very common.

Warm water tropical diver too, but I still go full 3mm wetsuit, hoods, gloves, socks, etc on every dive.

Reason for doing so is that they feel just right for normal day time dives. On long or repetitive dives, I still feel that my exposure protection isn't enough, and am glad that I at least have my full suit, since being cold is really a joy killer. I also do not vary my exposure protection so as not to change my buoyancy characteristics.

No issues with heat so far, just put a finger in the hood or neck seal when too hot to let water in, and you'll cool down fast.

Also, there is the bonus of extra exposure protection, you'll grateful when you hear your dive mates complaining about jelly fish, but you didnt feel a thing!

My two cents worth

Go to a brick and mortar dive shop and try on suits to find one that fits properly irrespective of make.

Some manufacturers make suits that don't fit everyone, the secret is to find a company that makes suits to fit you.

oh and go for a full length suit, as after you dive in shortie and come out with cuts and stings you'll regret not buying a full length suit.

Good advice! I recently got certified OWC/AOWC in Thailand diving in rented 3mm shorties. I never even got close to feeling cold, but I did get torn up a few times with stings on my calves and ankles, especially on those dives out by the Similans. It was more annoying than actually painful, but I'd prefer to avoid it in the future as much as possible. So full coverage, especially on the lower body, is definitely desireable. I think the thin farmer john I linked above, plus a long or short sleeve rashguard should give me the high coverage and light insulation that will work best for me in warm water. I also have a mini-hood that I just ordered from Terrapin Wetsuits, but that's more for sun protection while I'm waiting for pickup than for insulation. I got a very nice little sunburn during a half hour wait for pickup at Phi Phi. In any case, I'm willing to spend a little money experimenting.

Regarding brick and mortar stores, I'd do that if I could, but I currently live/work in Afghanistan and for some reason, I can't seem to find any diving shops out here. :wink: I do intend on visiting one the next time I make a trip to a civilized area.

@Sharkbait07

When you pass through DXB again perhaps you can visit a couple of dive shops here and check out what they have.

Al Boom carry Aqualung gear and have frequent sales, and their shop is practically around the corner from where I live.

There is a Mares dealer whose name escapes me right now, on Sheikh Zayed Road at Al Quoz who usually hold a reasonable stock, I've bought from them before and good pricing.

Divers Down / Dive Garage is way out of town, but carry the Swedish brand Waterproof. For some reason I've never found a Waterproof suit that fits me.

Personally I use Fourth Element wetsuits but the dealer here will only bring them in to order.

Good luck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom