Glass lens frameless Mask fogging issue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Comet works well, we used to keep it at the poolside, until someone decided not to rinse their mask b4 putting it on.

Thanks for the responses.

Can someone walk me through the flame process?

Based on my web searches does it go something like this?

1) flame the lens till its black
2) let it cool
3) scrub it clean with comet or toothpaste
4) repeat on both sides a couple of times

When I burn the glass film, I find it much easier to do with an articulated barbecue lighter on low, than trying to get my hand inside the mask with a hot lighter.

The glass is not syliated. They do not want the glass to bond to the skirt. This should be obvious because that would make lens removal almost impossible. The culprit is residual mold release agent. Good luck getting the manufacturers to clean that off for you.

The glass is not syliated. They do not want the glass to bond to the skirt. This should be obvious because that would make lens removal almost impossible. The culprit is residual mold release agent. Good luck getting the manufacturers to clean that off for you.
I have noticed that a mask that has been cleaned so it absolutely will not fog must be cleaned again if kept in a plastic bag for a few months. I think it is something the silicone offgasses.

The culprit is residual mold release agent.
Could very well be. Didn't take long to go down that rabbit hole. Came up with some interesting stuff:

Sealer and Release Agent Reference Guide
This looks like a common release agent.

https://www.smooth-on.com/msds/files/ER200.pdf
Uh, they only listed the volatiles. Note that one of them is a fluorocarbon. (dissolves silicon oil)
Also note the '200' in the name. Very, very common silicon oil. It is very possible that THAT is the culprit.

200 SILICONE OIL 100 CS

It looks like finding a way to hydrolize silicone oil 200 (or its next-of-kin) is a possible approach...

Hydrolysis of polydimethylsiloxane fluids in controlled aqueous solutions. - PubMed - NCBI

Comet works well, we used to keep it at the poolside, until someone decided not to rinse their mask b4 putting it on.

I find lemon scented Soft Scrub to be good. Also rinses much easier than toothpaste.

I used Vim and flamed my Hollis M1 frameless more than a few times. Worked well but it took time.

I used to think this flaming stuff was nonsense, having successfully treated a half dozen masks using the standard methods. Then I met the mask from hell. Nothing worked until in desperation I flamed it, and wow, the fog cleared. Since then I have seasoned other masks and have not had to resort to the flame. But I am pretty sure that if nothing else works flaming will as a last resort.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom