Excess liquor charges

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wildbill9

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Does anyone know what the charge is for bringing back to much liquor is? Don Julio 1942 was $75 last time we were there, if we brought back day 10 bottles what are we looking at? Thanks.Bill

Such an interesting question, and I bet not many have tried it. How many adults in your party, and are to you flying just to Texas or on to Arkansas? You will be out of the US more than 48 hours, right?

The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) limits the amount of unopened alcohol that can be brought onto a plane to five liters per person if the alcohol content falls between 24 and 70 percent (up to 140 proof.)

The US duty will be $2 to $3 a bottle, depending on size and proof. For a 750 ml bottle, $2.14 (at 80 proof). There will be state taxes too I think.

Before September 2001 changes, you could carry the bottles on connecting flights. That changed to allowing the bottles sold by duty free shops at the airport to be brought on yourself for the flight to the US, but then had to be packed in checked luggage to fly further. Then last Wednesday as I was leaving I saw a sign at a duty free store at the airport saying something about that being updated that you could carry it yourself on connecting flights as long as it was in the sealed package provided, or something similar to that; sorry I did not take a photo of the sign or pay a lot of attention.

Years ago we carried back 3-4 too many bottles. After telling the customs agent we were over, he told us “ welcome home” and waved us through.

A couple of thoughts ...

Prices at duty free in Cancun are ridiculous. You're better off buying at Chedraui or La Europea, although I find that Cava del Durero frequently has better prices.

Second, make certain to DECLARE EVERYTHING. CBE has wide discretion to charge you the full rate or not, as well as penalties for anything over the limit but not declared. As Dandy Don said, you if you can split the liquor up between multiple people, by all means, do so, and tell the customs agent. "We've got six in our party and 10 bottles - how much do we owe?" may get a pass from customs (but if not, as @DandyDon points out, the duty isn't that much).

Not declaring everything sets you up for a world of hurt. We were coming back from a cruise a few years ago, and had six bottles for two people (four over the limit). Customs only charged us duty for two of the four. Next to us were some folks that thought they could get away with not declaring their one extra bottle, and we're going to be guests of CBE for a *long* while.

And while @DandyDon is correct that you could be subject to state taxes, that will occur at the point of entry - not your final destination. Texas used to be a stickler. Florida, not so much. YMMV.

Prices at duty free in Cancun are ridiculous. You're better off buying at Chedraui or La Europea, although I find that Cava del Durero frequently has better prices.
I'm sure that's true, but you can't carry those bottles on yourself, can you? Wouldn't they have to be inside checked luggage? I'd want a lot of bubble wrap around each bottle, and the weight would be a factor.

Have you seen this? Don Julio 1942 Don Julio 70 Añejo Claro Tequila NV at $56 per 750 ml. It looks like it's made in New Mexico so not the same, but it is by the same company.
Don Julio 1942 Don Julio 70 Añejo Claro Tequila NV – B-21

Such an interesting question, and I bet not many have tried it. How many adults in your party, and are to you flying just to Texas or on to Arkansas? You will be out of the US more than 48 hours, right?

The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) limits the amount of unopened alcohol that can be brought onto a plane to five liters per person if the alcohol content falls between 24 and 70 percent (up to 140 proof.)

The US duty will be $2 to $3 a bottle, depending on size and proof. For a 750 ml bottle, $2.14 (at 80 proof). There will be state taxes too I think.

Before September 2001 changes, you could carry the bottles on connecting flights. That changed to allowing the bottles sold by duty free shops at the airport to be brought on yourself for the flight to the US, but then had to be packed in checked luggage to fly further. Then last Wednesday as I was leaving I saw a sign at a duty free store at the airport saying something about that being updated that you could carry it yourself on connecting flights as long as it was in the sealed package provided, or something similar to that; sorry I did not take a photo of the sign or pay a lot of attention.
Coming back from FL in December I overheard a couple of different people being told at the gates that they could not carry their liquor on board as "it should have been placed in a sealed bag" or some such. I thought it was curious, but it sounds like what you are talking about.

Coming back from FL in December I overheard a couple of different people being told at the gates that they could not carry their liquor on board as "it should have been placed in a sealed bag" or some such. I thought it was curious, but it sounds like what you are talking about.
Yes, it the new allowances seemed to have started at the first of Feb: https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/tsa-international-duty-free-liquids/index.html
Also not " Liquids in metallic, opaque or ceramic bottles or other containers that cannot be scanned properly will not be allowed in carry-on luggage."

But I am attempting to get a photo of the sign. See Who is going to be leaving the Cozumel airport soon?

I think the CNN article made it clear that this only applied to bottles purchased at the duty free airport store, not in town, and they had to be in "secure, tamper-evident bags (STEBs)."

A friend carries six bottles of 42 now and then. I carry 3-5 bottles of tequila back a time or two a year. Neither of us have had problems or charges as a result. Duty is minimal, from what I understand - a couple of bucks per bottle - and not worth the paperwork for the agents.
I don’t think that I have even been asked how many bottles in a year or more...

This is simply recounting the experiences of my friend and I, ymmv.

Such an interesting question, and I bet not many have tried it.
Ok, so I am wrong again.
A friend carries six bottles of 42 now and then. I carry 3-5 bottles of tequila back a time or two a year.
Did y'all buy in town and pack in check luggage, or at the duty free shop - or another way?

Back
Top Bottom