Old steels denied fills due to store "policy"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How many times has the valve been run in and out of the threads of a 50 year old tank and dose a hidro or visual inspection measure thread depth and fit?

How many times has the valve been run in and out of the threads of a 50 year old tank and dose a hidro or visual inspection measure thread depth and fit?
How many times has it been run in and out of a 5 year old tank and does a hydro or visual inspection measure thread depth and fit?

I’ve been following (lurking) this thread for the past couple of days with great amusement, and I really thought you had decided that you had had enough. Then, tonight, after much silence, you post this. You, my friend, are tenacious.

Erik

uhmmm-aah…

Answer: 10 times.

Steel has a much higher tensile strength than brass. Tank valves are not torqued on. Brass deforms (fails) before steel. Tank valves are made of soft brass (not bronze).

If a visual inspection, either aided or unaided, of the threads shows no sign of wear or damage, why not use it?

Your degree in liberal arts is showing.

markm

I had a Nazi bottle in the shop once, whoever re-marked it did a pretty poor job of striking the swastika into a square. Its last hydro stamp was 2 years prior to when I got it. Dunno what happened to it as it was swapped when I used all the gas, but if Praxair felt confident to fill it, I don't have a problem with it. It's not as if welding gas cylinders are particularly well taken care of, especially on pipelines and such.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom