Sailboat Wreck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lionfish-eater

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Last year a privately owned sailboat was grounded near downtown after a storm.
The owners abandoned it.
This year, it was blown closer to shore, with the mast almost reaching the shore.
The Navy has now begun to remove it.

Last year:
pt2rQqkt7_dTpoBP56XdPzaKdv518DWWuUcqzuNieSasVI933HV3SvayEZ6P1h9viWwA_e-DU90EQ3YFpDQ=w616-h821-no.jpg

This years pic Jan2019

XtTe7rk687hBHqUo4siNc3SW0TBu55J6csos8uTYATJpGPWsHvTti9dD0RCX41e1VdR1G2tv2RlgjZy6Ut=w1095-h821-no.jpg

Navy beginning to remove boat:

They begin to dismantle aground sailboat
February 28, 2019

In Cozumel

COVEK1-2-771x570.jpg

By Karina Carrión

COZUMEL, February 27.- The decommissioning of the sailboat that has been stranded for more than a year in the Cozumel harbor begins to take place, for which reason it began the withdrawal of the masts and in the near future the withdrawal of the latter will continue with elements of the Secretariat of the Navy and Civil Protection.

As reported by this newspaper, for more than 14 months, the sailboat "Lady Arisha" had been run aground and abandoned on the west coast of the island, in front of the Museum of the Island of Cozumel; However, the presence of the different cold fronts had resulted in the sailboat moving little by little with the strong waves and that way it was getting closer to the jetty until the masts of the boat were located a few meters from the seashore .

In this sense and after the owner of the Captaincy of Puerto did not hesitate to remove the useless sailboat, it was the Secretariat of the Navy, which requested support to Civil Protection so that they remove the masts of the boat and later begin to dismantle it .

This was let know from the inside of the municipal, where it was reported that since dawn on Tuesday and Wednesday the work was done, removing the masts to be safeguarded in the facilities of the Naval Sector, since each of these they had a weight of just over 120 kilograms because they were made of metal, so a document was created where they will be protected.

At the same time, it was learned that the Navy Secretariat sent an official letter to Mexico City, requesting the authorization of the federal maritime authority to dismantle it once the time to consider it abandoned, despite that for 14 months had been dismantled by people outside the owner, who ended up transferring the rights of the boat to the port authority, because he considered that he could not cover the costs of the rescue of the same, so he is expected to be able to quickly conclude the withdrawal of the boat from the pier of the island.

COVEK2-1-300x169.jpg

I took this picture on 11-29-17 when the port was closed. The waves didn't look bad enough for the port to be closed so I took a quick video of the boat so I could see how bad it was rocking. When I went back the next January it was wrecked.
upload_2019-3-2_13-20-56.png

I just wonder where the guys are gonna drink beer at in the middle of the night now? Sounded like some great parties out there.

How about an update? I was getting used to seeing that sailboat there and looking forward to a shore dive on it. Now, it looks more like a "shore walk around."

(An update on the museum status would also be appreciated.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom