What's a good SAC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What about "under cabinet lighting"? This could be counter lighting.

Cheers -

That linked article is okay, I guess, but I don't like that he keeps saying you can measure your RMV in psi or bar. RMV = Respiratory Minute Volume. IMO, intermediate steps that use pressure shouldn't be referred to as RMV; that'll cause more confusion than its worth.

Also, I was taught that like SAC, RMV is also adjusted to surface pressure (1 atm), which is not what this article states.

Damn. It ate the rest of the post. Stupid Japanese WiFi.

What should have been the rest of the post is:

“Explanations like this lead to confusion, and it’s easy to see why people use the terms interchangeably.”

Edit because it did it again....effing phone:

“Whereas this link states essentially the opposite: http://www.scubamaster.ae/what-is-sac-and-rmv/

Now that I have a dive computer that talks to my laptop computer, I have been looking at different data on my dive history. One of the pieces that I have been looking at is my SAC. I know what mine is, but I'm curious as to what other people have for a SAC. Is 8 psi/min good? Is 12 psi/min good? Is 16 psi/min good? Obviously, 8 is better than 16, but how does that compare to what other divers have for their SAC?

The question is threefold: 1) What is a good SAC?, 2) What is your average SAC?, and 3) When does your SAC increase or decrease during a dive?

I'm asking SAC. I guess RMV would be a good statistic to track also.

Cheers -

Edit: Added "psi/min" and sentence "I'm asking SAC. I guess RMV …." M²
A good SAC / RMV is one that allows you to do the dives you want to do with the gear / tanks you have at your disposal.

No, I am not being flip.

When my average consumption was 0.80 cf/min and I was doing deeper dives on air with an AL80, I was NDL constrained. Same tank with EAN32 it wasn't as good, same for more shallow dives. A HP117 fixed that.

Now my average is closer to 0.60 in cold water and 0.50 or less in warm. So its better.

But at the end of the day, I go back to my first statement. Finishing an hour plus dive with 1500 psi left in my HP117 gives me more safety margin, but does not otherwise enhance my dive. And there are still dives (longer/deeper) where I need the air in my HP133.

You need to understand your consumption so you can plan your dive properly with the right size tank and realistic profile, but beyond that it is what it is and who really cares?

After several years of diving (about 32) and based on my PERSONAL preferences, I just can't understand why ANYONE would dive in cold dark water. :confused: :)

Cheers -
Because the warm water is too far away :(

You need to understand your consumption so you can plan your dive properly with the right size tank and realistic profile, but beyond that it is what it is and who really cares?

Haven't read the thread yet, but my first thought upon reading the title was that it was going to turn into a pissing match over who had the lowest SAC, sort of like how there seems to be a competition among some to dive with the least amount of weight possible.

Haven't read the thread yet, but my first thought upon reading the title was that it was going to turn into a pissing match over who had the lowest SAC, sort of like how there seems to be a competition among some to dive with the least amount of weight possible.
Nothing wrong with that - why would anyone want to dive with more weight than needed? I've steadily decreased my weighting as I've gained more experience. The side benefit is less weight also helps reduce my RMV so I can get a little more dive time out of a tank.

The funny part is, I actually do track my consumption fairly obsessively because I started with such high consumption, and it amuses me to see my progress. I quickly learned, though, that is was a pointless fool's game to worry about how I compared to others. That doesn't change anything.

6 pages of replies that I read and no pissing contest.

Back
Top Bottom