SAC rate issues

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi all, I could use any advice I can get on here.

My SAC rate is terrible, I consume air quite fast and I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong.
I’ve been diving for the past 4 years, I thought I had less dives but according to my computer I have 124 dives. According to my perdix my avg SAC rate is 29 psi/min and I am consuming air worse than anyone around me.

I have good buoyancy and trim, I can always improve but I don’t think that’s the issue.

I’d like to think I’m in fairly good shape, I‘m 180cm/ 5’10 tall, I weigh around 97kg/215lbs but I honestly workout 5-6 days a week and most of that weight is muscle.
I dive without weights in saltwater and fresh water.

I would like to avoid having to purchase a set of 133 cu tanks just so I can keep up with people diving al80’s.

I am getting more into tec diving and have a class in September, I will definitely work with my instructor on it. But I’d like to keep practicing and improving until then.

If at any point I sounded arrogant in my post, please do know I do not mean to do so and I’m truly just asking for advice on here. Please let me know if there are anymore details I need to state.
29 psi/min on an AL80. is about .74 cuft/min or 21 liters/min. I would not classify this as "terrible". Some individuals also have a large tidal volume. I would not get too hung-up on it.

Hi @Alii994

At about 0.75 cu ft/min, you are somewhere in the top 15% of divers who have participated in an SB poll

Bouyancy bouyancy bouyancy......these are the three most important factors.
Ssslllooowww down. When you think you have slowed down, slow down some more.
Being able to completely relax while hovering in trim, as well as while finning is key.
Most people move around a lot more than they realize.
For now, focus on bouyancy control while remaining completely still. Hands together. No finning.
Then move on to only moving your legs when finning (frog kick).
No deep breathing. Many manuals tell you to take long deep breathes. I disagree.
Also understand that a large muscular body takes more energy when compared to a small less muscular one. Thats just the way it is.

Hi @Alii994

At about 0.75 cu ft/min, you are somewhere in the top 15% of divers who have participated in an SB poll
Also probably on the more honest end of the SAC spectrum.

Getting all bent outa shape about your SAC is pointless. Bring enough gas, or do slightly shorter dives, try to chill out mentally. A modestly high SAC for a newish diver or an old diver returning to diving, or moving to a new area/conditions, etc etc is not a moral failing.

I do apologize all for responding late, it’s been a hectic week at work. I’ll do my best to respond today and I do appreciate you all’s input and comments.

Hey I have a fairly higher sac rate compared to many of my buddies. If you need to carry more gas just do that.

I think my sac rate is a bit lower since I stopped lighting heavy weights and do more HIIT.

Also when you frog kick, do you glide: I am asking because I see many people kicking non stop and you’ll get better results if you pause and glide after the kick and try to move slowly (you will not feel the need to breathe as much)

Someone on this forum showed me this video and it helped me to refine some bits (just in case it’s useful)
Funny enough, that’s the same video I used to learn how to frog kick years ago.
Thank you though!

I do find myself twisting my ankles to continue to glide without thinking about it every now and then, kind of like a modified frog kick but with even less movement.

29 psi/min on an AL80. is about .74 cuft/min or 21 liters/min. I would not classify this as "terrible". Some individuals also have a large tidal volume. I would not get too hung-up on it.
I honestly, did not know that. Thanks for sharing.

What is your resting heart rate?
Per my Apple Watch, lowest it’s been recently is 45, average is 52.
8-9 years ago. I did a few tests, and it was 38. But that’s when I was still an active athlete.

However when I exercise it spikes up at a high rate. Has reached the 180-190 range on average but that’s with doing heavy cardio exercises, functional fitness and cross training.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom