SAC rate issues

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

With a history of doing heavy cardio, my breathing pattern has been toward deeper breaths to maximize VO2 uptake. This is great for O2 saturation, and avoiding hypercapnia, but it's inefficient use of an air supply. I'm also on the higher end for lung volume, so again, not efficient use of air. It is what it is. Some of the folks I dive with can make thier AL80 last longer than I can a pair of HP117's, but that's OK.

Bigger tanks may give you more time but won’t solve the problem. Did you over what gear you’re using?
I don’t think I have.

Primary reg is atomics t3, it’s the first one I bought and it’s what I’ve used 95% of the time. I also have scubapro mk25 evo bt and very recently got an apeks xtx200.

I’ve used the hydros pro most of the time, it was the first one I ever bought and it’s what I’ve also used 95% of the time.

Recently bought the s tek bcd, katana 2 and stealth Tec

Fins: the XT, S tek, Quattro +, and Eddys

The person with what I believe is the best SAC rate I have ever encountered is a former body builder who still works regularly on weight training.

On the other hand, I do believe body mass of that type does require more oxygen.
Tell me his secret, does he have registered as a donor for lung transplant, if something happens?

/ asking for a friend

I was thinking of trying out diaphragm regs and see if that makes a difference but truthfully, I’m just playing a guessing game here, I’m not all too familiar about how piston vs diaphragm regs would affect my breathing.
Piston or diaphragm is all in the first stage.... your work of breathing will be dictated by the second stage. All the second stage cares about from the first stage is that it receives the proper intermediate pressure. How the first stage accomplishes that (piston or diaphragm mechanism) is immaterial to how the second stage breathes.
Really long way to say that changing out your first stage won't make difference.
Respectfully,

James (another .7-.8 cfm guy!)

I don’t think I have.

Primary reg is atomics t3, it’s the first one I bought and it’s what I’ve used 95% of the time. I also have scubapro mk25 evo bt and very recently got an apeks xtx200.

I’ve used the hydros pro most of the time, it was the first one I ever bought and it’s what I’ve also used 95% of the time.

Recently bought the s tek bcd, katana 2 and stealth Tec

Fins: the XT, S tek, Quattro +, and Eddys
Diving conditions? Exposure protection water temps #’s of lead and kick style??

I would agree that this may not be something to worry about. As you gain more experience, and learn to relax more, it will improve to some extent. You may just need larger tanks.

A lot will depend on your activity level. I have pretty much zero dives where I’m not doing something else, so my SAC is higher than it would be for a relaxing dive. I’m either cleaning something, hunting something, or retrieving something. My level of activity during the dive has a direct relationship to my gas consumption. Not a problem, I just plan accordingly.

If you have an AI computer that displays instantaneous sac rate, I found it useful myself to try different breathing patterns.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom