Wetsuit Layering

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Neil_Andoque

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I will be in Komodo this July on a LOB and our itinerary includes North, Central, and South Islands. I was told that South Island in Komodo can reach to an average low of 22 degrees Celsius up to 19 degrees Celsius. Since I am traveling from another country where I will have to do two flights before I get to my destination I didn't want to bring a 3mm and a 5mm wetsuit at the same time. So I thought of just layering, what I have right now is a Waterproof 2.5mm fullsuit, a Waterproof Neoskin 1mm fullsuit, a Waterproof hooded vest which is a 2/3mm, a Waterproof 2mm short, and another Waterproof 2mm vest plus a 2mm sock since I am using longfins. I want to know if this is just right? Would a series of layer wetsuits be any different from a 7mm one piece suite? Will the compression of this much layering would have a negative effect to my body while diving?

You can layer the suits and it will provide insulation.

You can layer suits but the result will depend on fit.
Each layer adds to your size, hence the outer needs to be slightly bigger than your normal size.
Also if the first layer does not fit you properly any additional layer will make things worse.
2 weeks ago my buddy tried a 3mm shortie under his 5mm full wet suit. He couldn't bend to reach his fins. I can't imagine with 3 layers

I often dive with a 3mm front zip shortie over a 3mm sleeveless front zip vest. Easy to get in and out of. Comfortable and versatile for many warm water conditions.

I travel with two 1mil full suits, if I feel cold with one I add the other, worked at 74° any colder and I would maybe want a 3mil.

One thing I've learned from experience is that wearing two layers each x mm thick is not as warm as one layer two x mm thick, because water gets in between the two layers.

I'm counting five layers on your core; have you tried these on together to see if they'll even fit? I've only ever done max two layers of neoprene and the outer wetsuit had to be a size larger.

I have a Sharkskin jacket I can layer under my wetsuit without going up a size; it claims to offer the equivalent of 3mm worth of neoprene, and while I can't say for sure if that's completely accurate, I do notice a big difference, especially on repetitive dives in the temperatures you're talking about. It also packs small. Maybe an option to augment your 5mm?

If I were you, ideally, I would recommend you bring a 5mm wetsuit, because that comes out to 66-71 degrees fahrenheit, which is definitely chilly water.

Everybody likes to act like cold water doesnt bother them lol, but for most divers, 66-71 is gonna be a little cold. Water sucks the heat from your body 25 times faster than air, remember that. And being outside in a t-shirt in 66 degrees with no sun would be kinda cold. Now imagine the heat transferring from your body 25 times faster... that's 66 degree water.

If you dont wanna bring a 5mm wetsuit, you should ideally bring a 3mm wetsuit and a 2.5mm shorty or chest vest.

Idk about bringing a 2mm and a 1mm... that's gonna

1) be really complicated and tiresome to get on and off
2) be bulky and awkward to move in
3) the suits may not even fit

but if you have no issues getting wetsuits on and off, and you have made sure they actually all fit together on you (try this before you pack them! Including trying them when they are both wet and dry!), then I guess you can do that. Ideally though, I like to start with a 3mm and go up from there.

Your best bet is a solid 3 or 5mm wetsuit, and then just a shorty or a chest vest.

Given those water temps, definitely on the cool side, and given LOB diving, which might be 4 or 5 dives per day for 6 or seven days, I would take a good 7mil. It might seem like overkill for one or two dives, but by the end of the day dive (or the night dive) you will really appreciate having it. And, I am not a "cold" diver, but four dives at those temps, six or seven days running, will chill you pretty badly. Waterproof is the best off the rack suit in the business, as far as I am concerned. Get their good W-5 mil (pretty much as warm as most super-stretch 7 mils), with a 3 mil H-1 hood, and be warm! You can bring a lavacore vest to put underneath if you want a little extra warmth.

The other alternative, the Probe iDry 7 mil with a probe hood. They are made in Australia and sold online. Google them.
I suggest this because it has a hydrophobic fleece lining (not the usual nylon) that dries like magic. Hang it up and, literally, 15 minutes and the inside of the suit is dry and toasty. Also extremely warm in the water as the fleece adds warmth and traps water movement. So, when you suit up for your second, third, fourth and fifth dive of the day, you are sliding into a nice, warm, dry suit (on the inside, the outside neoprene stays wet like all suits). Makes a big difference in the RIB or panga on the way to the site.

For me, and my next liveaboard trip, I am going to get a Probe (ether 5 or 7 mil depending on the water temps).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom