Cigars & Liveaboard?

1 cigar ok at the end of a dive day on a liveaboard?

• Yes

Votes: 46 46.5%
  • No

Votes: 53 53.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great investment opportunity.
My cheap two cents: I hate smelling smoke of any kind. However, I like seeing divers relaxing after a great diving day more. So, if there is a designated spot and you've checked to make sure someone won't become violently ill, please relax so as to make you happy. I might even come chat with you as I do with the few that smoke in our LDS travel group. When I can't take it any longer, I leave. As long as it's allowed on the boat and it's somewhat down wind, I could not stand in the way of my fellow divers finding that Zen moment after diving.

I'm allergic to tobacco smoke, so I avoid it. I can tolerate small amounts so I try to allow others to dig their grave as they see fit. I'm also allergic to wood smoke but I enjoy a campfire and have learned to limit my exposure to the smoke. I love the smell of a pipe, but alas, I cannot deal with the puffy eyes and runny nose. I love smoke free hotels and dive ops and will choose them over others.

I was on a liveaboard on the GBR about 7 years ago that allowed smoking on the back portion of the upper deck. No one really objected. They just avoided the area. A few gents smoked cigars at night (one surrounded by the travel group members from the dive shop he owned in the Bay area, hanging on his every pontification). It seemed a bit out of place, but no one really said much of anything.

It does not make me feel better and I am truly sorry for your loss. I am quite aware that my examples are statistical anomalies. Hence the satire.

From what I have read in this thread non-smokers are simply stating they would avoid tobacco smoke if possible, whether that was by avoiding a section of the boat or choosing a boat that doesn't allow smoking. No one has actually told anyone that they can't or even shouldn't smoke.

Have you ever noticed that it seems to be only cigar smokers who think they don't stink? Kind of like dogs and poop, I guess.

I would gladly take that over my last liveaboard roommate that felt post dive deck rinses were enough showering for the week

If the liveboard allows you to smoke, what's typically the take on smoking a cigar at the end of the day? Maybe once or twice during the liveaboard?

It was not clear to me whether your question was about: (a) etiquette, or (b) health concerns as a diver. Most replies interpreted the "the take on smoking" as (a), but I see a few addressed (b).

As for (a), while I find second-hand smoke offensive, the reality is that most liveaboards have crew, if not a guest or two, who smoke, and they do their smoking way up on the bow or somewhere like that which has been designated as the only place it is permitted. Or so I have been told--I have not witnessed it or, thankfully, smelled it. The bow is often off-limits anyway, with ropes and machinery and dangerous stuff lying about. Maybe they figure that smokers are already risk takers, so let them have at it up on the bow where most guests are discouraged from venturing.

As for (b), I do everything I can to dive with nonsmoking, reasonably fit, health-conscious buddies. Smoking seems incompatible to me with a pastime in which cardiovascular and pulmonary efficiency play a significant role.

Hey! There's a small business opportunity: set up a dive and cigar and port and rum and foodie live aboard tour. My surface interval BBQ lunch on a Lapu Lapu dive (Cebu, Philippines).
GJS

Attachments

• thumbnail_image1-3.jpg
    thumbnail_image1-3.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 57
Same goes with Indonesian liveaboards, while your diving they are smoking!

And Maldives

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom