Most useful specialty courses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jryan1204

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm a vacation diver at the moment. Got certified about 19 years ago with my open water course with padi. Then I just picked up diving again over the past year and a half where I have done some fun dives and I just recently completed the SSI Advanced Adventurer (including the following dives: drift, wreck, navigation, night and deep [30m]) I also took the nitrox course. I only have like 13 dives total and am still working on things like buoyancy and air consumption. I am wondering where to go from here on future dives and training. I would like to do the deep specialty so I can get certified down to 40m. What other courses are worth taking?

Cavern with a good instructor or Fundies will teach you more about diving well than anything. IMO

There are several specialty courses that are quite beneficial.
Deep - this is a good one to learn more about NDL, SAC/RMV, and planning.
Navigation - this one is great for those who are navigationally-challenged
Search and Recovery - I enjoyed this one years ago, for we spend a fair amount of time practicing search patterns

The rescue course is well worth taking. This I highly recommend.

A class that runs along the lines of basic fundamentals (also referred to as fundies) is a definite consideration. This one is excellent for mastering buoyancy, developing your skills to a much higher level and expanding your knowledge of basic deco.

A cavern course with a cave instructor would be my choice, particularly if you pay him for an extra day or two to get you sorted out on buoyancy, trim, and kick techniques. @The Chairman or Reggie Ross would be my choice, I've learned a bit from both of them. Beyond that dive, dive, dive.

Heck make a week out of it, come down to cave country for 3 days, and then head over to the east coast or the keys to get some dives on the deeper wrecks.

I'm a vacation diver at the moment. Got certified about 19 years ago with my open water course with padi. Then I just picked up diving again over the past year and a half where I have done some fun dives and I just recently completed the SSI Advanced Adventurer (including the following dives: drift, wreck, navigation, night and deep [30m]) I also took the nitrox course. I only have like 13 dives total and am still working on things like buoyancy and air consumption. I am wondering where to go from here on future dives and training. I would like to do the deep specialty so I can get certified down to 40m. What other courses are worth taking?

What are your interests? Wrecks, caves, etc.?

What are your interests? Wrecks, caves, etc.?
Some people like the naturalist side of things, and end up learning about the coral and doing fish surveys. Others laugh at that. Some get hooked on photography....but usually too early in their diving careers, because it ought to come *after* one has nailed buoyancy, not before or even during the nailing. Some like the hands on equipment stuff, so they play with sidemount, or even rebreathers. Marie13 is spot on: what are YOUR interests?

UTD Essentials of Diving or GUE Fundamentals are the best choices of training after open water certification, no matter what your interests. It is about having a solid foundation.

Hmm. I'm still sorting out what my interests are. I did very limited penetration on my wreck dive, but don't have the comfort level for cave diving at this point. I will eventually take the rescue course but would like to get a few more dives under my belt before doing so. I probably should work on navigation as well since I really suck at that. I'll look into the search and rescue course as well.

Hmm. I'm still sorting out what my interests are. I did very limited penetration on my wreck dive, but don't have the comfort level for cave diving at this point. I will eventually take the rescue course but would like to get a few more dives under my belt before doing so. I probably should work on navigation as well since I really suck at that. I'll look into the search and recovery course as well.

FTFY. Easy misnomer, just a pet peeve of mine

As @Manatee Diver said.... dive, dive, dive... That's the best way to find your interests.

Back
Top Bottom